Question for the experts

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok so seeing all the cool steel targets out there I have decided I'm going to order a few steel plates. Shooting steel plates is always fun but I want to make it a challenge. Eventually I'm going to order a pvs-14 for my 6.8 and it got me thinking. What if I put something on the steel targets to make them visible at night with night vision only.

Now I have a few of the Velcro flags for uniforms that are reflective with night vision and an ir illuminator but I don't want to put those on my targets. Do they make ir paint? Ir tape? Anything like that? If so where. I did a few searches but didn't come up with much. 1 place had something but it's hard to get information from them. I emailed twice.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just paint the targets in darker colors for bright moon nights and lighter colors for no moon nights. Then you will be set. You can use the cheapest Wal-Mart spray paint available and accomplish your goal that way. No special paint needed.

If you want to make it really challenging, but paint to match the background colors of what is behind the targets, like trying to shoot a dark hog in the dark shadows.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll have to try different colors once I get everything. Should be interesting to see how they stand out at night

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Course... if'n ya wants to get really creative... stretch some green hog hide over it and let it dry (hard) around it... then pick it out... just like ya would with the real thing?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah but that would mean the hogs need to be out and it would seem they have moved to another part of the state right now

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Any type of reflective caution tape will reflect IR light back to the NV. But I think painting them color variations of hogs is the best idea.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah i think you guys are right. should be interesting. i could always paint them the TLM way and do like angry birds hog

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's the company I have sent like 4 emails to. They never respond

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If the background is a light color black stands out.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ill have to try it. im going to order some steel plates next week. ill just have to get cables to hang them. then i need to get my NV

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
can you see it through nv?

Yes that's why night vision works so well on hogs. There aren't many black things in nature. With night vision most everything is a shade of green while black well to put it bluntly stands out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sounds good. ill paint them all black and work on getting my PVS-14. then its range testing time

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you can use IR glow sticks. They work real well and are used by mil for trail marking and other things. Tape one on the back of a target and just cut a round whole about the size of a silver dollar at 100 yards and go to it. Works great !!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a good idea. I'm going to see how well I can see them painted different colors but when it's a shoot just to have fun I can use the glow sticks