Quail Hunting @ Black Gap WMA

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We took a road trip to Black Gap WMA for opening weekend of quail season. Black Gap is down in the Big Bend area of Texas its rough desert country where almost everything sticks or bites you!

It was tough hunting without dogs! Those scaled quail just don't hold like the bobwhites I'm used to. The black gap quail seem like they will run for miles before they finally fly! But we all got our limits and it was great camping and cooking the quail the same night under all those stars!

My hunting truck and trailer is set up for just about anything. I have an onboard refigerator/freezer, air & air tools, spare parts from extra axles even gears! Well we broke a spring hanger on my trailer all the way down by the rio grande. Now we are miles and miles from anything so we used a ratchet strap to hold the axle on and limped back to the closest town. :eek:

Well we found a town I forgot the name now population 8!!! The only thing there was a gas station. We asked if they could weld the axle back for us the answer "we have a welding machine but we don't know how to use it." Lucky for us we did and we went to work. Got out the air tools and all the stuff we needed as the two older gentlemen at the store sat on the porch slowly sipping on cold beers as we sweat in the desert sun.

Now as we worked I could hear the two men talking the one tells the other "Those boys have everything!" after about a minute pause the other answers "hmm they aint got a welding machine." Then they both break out laughing lol!:D

After we got it fixed we went back to hunting for the week with no further mishaps. If you have not hunted the Black Gap I encourage you to try it at least once its an adventure you wont soon forget!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They have camp grounds you can reserve. Very primitive just a small cement slab with a metal lean to and a fire pit. You have to bring everything you need in. There are no stores or supplies close! Best done with a group and at least three vehicles.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
nice write up! I really miss that part of the state.I never went down to Black Gap but I did go to the Big Bend Ranch State Park a few times to go camping.

Depending on which way you went down there, the small town your talking about is probably either Marathon or Study Butte.