Pulsar Trail XQ38 Tech Questions

reddog90

Hey I have a few questions about my new XQ38.

How do I actually save videos/photos from the device to my iphone? My options within the app after downloading files are to Share by imessage (which failed), email, facebook, iCloud Photo Sharing, DropBox or Google Drive. Nothing to just save the file to my phone. I successfully exported a video to my Google Drive but I still couldn't save it to my phone from there. I tried emailing it to myself through the app. Email came through, but I still couldn't save the video to my phone from gmail. Do I need a separate app to convert .avi files to .mov?

How do I update the firmware on the thermal device? Does it update automatically when connected to the Stream Vision app? Currently my device is running firmware 2.2.11, but the app is running version 3.0.0. When I click "check for update" in the app, it says the device has the latest software. I just want to make sure I can get the video sound update when it is released.

Thanks for the help.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Once you downloaded the files to your phone, it is up to your phone and firmware/apps as to whether you can share files of that size to other people. For example, say you have a little video that is 187 mb. Does your phone or texting app allow you to send files that large? You certainly can upload them to something like DropBox. We have done this. For somebody else to see it you have to follow the DropBox protocols and share the box with them for them to view the file.

You only need a separate app to convert the files from avi to mov is you don't have a player or editor that can read avi.

------

How do you update? First, select your scope in Stream Vision and then hit the "Check for updates" button. If there is an update, it will load into your phone. Connect your scope via wifi for the updating of the scope.

NOTE: The version of Stream Vision is NOT the same thing as the version for the scope. Those involve two different programs. The scope runs on one that you update through Stream Vision which has its own version.

If "check for update" says you have the latest, then you have the latest. When another is available, it will tell you when you check for an update.

reddog90

Once you downloaded the files to your phone, it is up to your phone and firmware/apps as to whether you can share files of that size to other people. For example, say you have a little video that is 187 mb. Does your phone or texting app allow you to send files that large? You certainly can upload them to something like DropBox. We have done this. For somebody else to see it you have to follow the DropBox protocols and share the box with them for them to view the file.

You only need a separate app to convert the files from avi to mov is you don't have a player or editor that can read avi.

------

How do you update? First, select your scope in Stream Vision and then hit the "Check for updates" button. If there is an update, it will load into your phone. Connect your scope via wifi for the updating of the scope.

NOTE: The version of Stream Vision is NOT the same thing as the version for the scope. Those involve two different programs. The scope runs on one that you update through Stream Vision which has its own version.

If "check for update" says you have the latest, then you have the latest. When another is available, it will tell you when you check for an update.

Thanks for the help Brian. I can't save .avi files to my iphone. I downloaded AnyVideoConverter to my macbook and converted a test video from .avi to .mp4 and it seemed to work. It is cumbersome, but I guess I will have to export files from the Stream Vision app to my Google Drive or DropBox, save them to my macbook, convert them to .mp4 in AVC, send them to myself, then save them on my iphone...

Thanks for explaining that the version of Stream Vision is not the same as the scope's firmware.

reddog90

You may need to look somewhere other than Photos. I don't do iPhone but if you downloaded the videos, then they are on your phone.

I called Pulsar and there are just compatibility issues with iPhones depending on the iOS version. Apparently I just can't save .avi files to my iPhone. My Stream Vision app is also crashing when I try to save photos from the device to my phone. Running Stream Vision 3.0.0 and firmware 2.2.11

Msnix123

LSB Member
I have also had issues with sharing videos from my Pulsar. I can pull them up through Stream Vision, but any video over a minute is a real pain to try and share.

Also, when I did the latest software update I lost all of the videos I had saved on my Stream vision app.

Trevor Cook

I just bought a XQ38, charged the battery and turned it on for the first time. I’ve gone through most of the settings and familiarized myself with it.
But I’m having what I’d say is an issue and was wanting some guidance.
As I look through my thermal and scan for a target the image kinda blips or freezes for a split second before it continues on.(my buddies armasight does not do this)
Does anyone know what this is? How to fix it? Is it normal?

LonsomeRooter

I just bought a XQ38, charged the battery and turned it on for the first time. I’ve gone through most of the settings and familiarized myself with it.
But I’m having what I’d say is an issue and was wanting some guidance.
As I look through my thermal and scan for a target the image kinda blips or freezes for a split second before it continues on.(my buddies armasight does not do this)
Does anyone know what this is? How to fix it? Is it normal?

Sounds like the calibration mode is set on automatic. If you want to change it go into the menu and scroll down to calibration mode. Enter into that and you'll find three settings: manual, semi automatic, automatic. Pick which one you want and exit out. I tend to leave mine on automatic because I'm too lazy to use the other two. It is aggravating though when you line up on a target and it calibrates. Watch the bottom of your screen when in automatic. When it's getting ready to calibrate a timer will start going 3,2,1. That should tip you off it's gonna happen. It's all explained in the owner's manual.

Msnix123

LSB Member
Sounds like the calibration mode is set on automatic. If you want to change it go into the menu and scroll down to calibration mode. Enter into that and you'll find three settings: manual, semi automatic, automatic. Pick which one you want and exit out. I tend to leave mine on automatic because I'm too lazy to use the other two. It is aggravating though when you line up on a target and it calibrates. Watch the bottom of your screen when in automatic. When it's getting ready to calibrate a timer will start going 3,2,1. That should tip you off it's gonna happen. It's all explained in the owner's manual.
What he said^^^. I just switched my Trail XQ38 from Auto to semi auto mainly so I can prevent it from the 1-2 second freeze in my videos.... For those that use manual, is there a certain length of time you wait to re-calibrate? or does it depend on weather conditions? Or just when the pic starts to blur? Most videos I've seen have not had the 1-2 second freeze so I assume they have it on manual??

Curious what setting other Pulsar owners are using and why? Thanks

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Manual ... most of my thermals are manual only ...

I don't like the noise sometimes associated with auto or semi nucs
I don't like the interruption associated with auto

I nuc when needed ... or prior to an engagement if I can anticipate ... I do not nuc with critters in sights ...

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
... I called Pulsar ...

How does one "call Pulsar" ... I've owned 4 pulsars over the past 3 years but never needed to "call pulsar" ... but I see someone who does need to and I don't know how to tell them how to call pulsar?