Pulsar Trail XP38 vs. XP50 Comparison Video w/ Lots of Dead Hogs

rich20730

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
New Youtube video showing footage from some of our recent hunts with the Pulsar Trail XP38 and XP50. Includes lots of side-by-side comparison footage through both scopes at various distances. Also, a few other comparisons with some other optics (Zeus Pro 640 50mm, Intens 4G Night Vision, and Pulsar Quantum XQ30V)

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Really good video! Thanks.

How was sound recorded? My understanding is that the Pulsar Trail models don't currently record sound. Please enlighten me.

rich20730

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks! Yes, unfortunately the Trail units still do not record sound. I was able to use the sound recorded on my MDVR and iPhone from hunts when I was using another thermal or NV device. The other times I just had to piece together sound from previous hunts. Kinda lame, but makes the video more watchable than without sound.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
OK, that's what I figured, but you did a really good job of matching the sound to the video, so I wasn't certain.
Thanks again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
do those units not have a front focus adjustment?? Lots of big hogs in the bunch

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty cool video of both the XD38 and XD50 systems in action.

Owning the XD38 myself I love the wider FOV for shooting in the woods/brushy fields around my parts.

For more open country the XD50 would be worth the upgrade I'm sure. I already have a Reap-IR for longer range work myself, that said the PIP on the XD38 really makes it more useful at longer ranges than I expected.

Mindreader1

LSB Member
Pretty cool video of both the XD38 and XD50 systems in action.

Owning the XD38 myself I love the wider FOV for shooting in the woods/brushy fields around my parts.

For more open country the XD50 would be worth the upgrade I'm sure. I already have a Reap-IR for longer range work myself, that said the PIP on the XD38 really makes it more useful at longer ranges than I expected.
Hey Terry - in your view If both the reap and xp are similar in price which one would you get?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Terry - in your view If both the reap and xp are similar in price which one would you get?

The Reap-IR is a bad boy very compact and lite weight plus awesome image clarity. Truly a professional feeling system. I really like mine however it's not perfect software wise. Mine sometimes freezes up I have to remove batteries to reset it. It's a rare event and I would consider it normal from owning dozens of thermal scopes/mono's over the years. Overall it's really nice and high performing only draw back is Price.

I've only used the XP38 Trail a few times in the field maybe 12 hours so far. I'm very impressed with the scope so far. The battery pack system is awesome, internal recording is awesome and the OLED eye piece is very nice also. The software runs really smooth it seems more refined than my ReapIR. The overall image clarity is maybe 90% that of the ReapIR which for thousands less is pretty impressive.

Overall both are really nice, but for the price I would save the money and go Trail XP50 vs Reap-IR. If money is no object than buy the Reap-IR it's Awesome system.

With the money saved you could buy a nice thermal scanner also .

Mindreader1

LSB Member
Thanks Terry! Have you had any updates thru the REAP? I really need to compare the two side by side before making the decision. One thing reap does have is versatility. I can't helmet mount an XP. But I've heard pulsar support is much better and I assume it'll keep the value a lot better too
The Reap-IR is a bad boy very compact and lite weight plus awesome image clarity. Truly a professional feeling system. I really like mine however it's not perfect software wise. Mine sometimes freezes up I have to remove batteries to reset it. It's a rare event and I would consider it normal from owning dozens of thermal scopes/mono's over the years. Overall it's really nice and high performing only draw back is Price.

I've only used the XP38 Trail a few times in the field maybe 12 hours so far. I'm very impressed with the scope so far. The battery pack system is awesome, internal recording is awesome and the OLED eye piece is very nice also. The software runs really smooth it seems more refined than my ReapIR. The overall image clarity is maybe 90% that of the ReapIR which for thousands less is pretty impressive.

Overall both are really nice, but for the price I would save the money and go Trail XP50 vs Reap-IR. If money is no object than buy the Reap-IR it's Awesome system.

With the money saved you could buy a nice thermal scanner also .

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and some fine shooting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice video, some fine shooting going on there too. Thanks for doing it up for us.

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
Some really BIG pigs shot in those videos. Question is it just me or are you shooting the recoil equivalent of a 22lr? Those follow up shots were almost instantaneous!