Problems with Zeus 640 2-16x42 (30 Hz)

YellowHammer

North Alabama
New guy here, I haven't messed with thermal since 2007 (it wasn't impressive). I have plenty of experience with night vision, however. I have been reading some your threads about the Zeus while investigating my own issues.

I finally scraped together enough money to buy my first thermal. The packing date on the box is March 2015. I watched all the youtube videos (thanks TLM) and sprung for the 640 model. I got it Friday and tried it last night. I am sorely disappointed. I cannot get the image to focus. The picture looks good from 10 yards and closer, but anything else is horribly out of focus. This does not look like the videos of the 640 units (or the 336 units for that matter) online.

For example: I cannot identify my neighbor's van 2 doors down. I can't make out the mailbox across the street. Last night I ventured into my backyard (lots of rabbits, birds, groundhog etc) and took a look. I could see a hot object 15 yards out, but it was just a white blur. It took off pretty fast, so I figure it was a rabbit. Birds on the fence 15 yards out are just blurs too. I went with the 640 because I want to see the animals in detail (and a lot farther away than 15 yards). I will be calling Armasight in the morning, but wanted to check with you all and see if you can recognize the issue.

Last edited:

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
did u adjust the focus ring on the front lens and the diopter on the rear objective....ive got the the same optic, having a different issue with mine, Ill be talking to armasight tomorrow as well.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
did u adjust the focus ring on the front lens and the diopter on the rear objective....ive got the the same optic, having a different issue with mine, Ill be talking to armasight tomorrow as well.

Yes, I am adjusting the front & rear focus without much improvement

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When you pull up the menu screen is the text in focus? If not the diopter is not set to your eye, if the text is in focus and you have adjusted the front focus all the way then something is wrong. With 640 at 15 yards you should be able to see the individual hairs on a dog/rabbit.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
When you pull up the menu screen is the text in focus? If not the diopter is not set to your eye, if the text is in focus and you have adjusted the front focus all the way then something is wrong. With 640 at 15 yards you should be able to see the individual hairs on a dog/rabbit.

Yes, text is in focus. Everything looks great inside (at close range), but outside it shows no detail at all, just fuzzy images. I'm going to take it to the dog park in a bit and see how it does.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
Yes, text is in focus. Everything looks great inside (at close range), but outside it shows no detail at all, just fuzzy images. I'm going to take it to the dog park in a bit and see how it does.

OK, no video yet but I am working on it. I was able to hook the Zeus up to a portable DVD player to display the video out.
1. It appears the focus (front and rear) does not impact the clarity of the image on the external monitor; I can focus on somebody 15 feet away in my house and it looks good on the external monitor. Then, I purposely turn the focus rings until that same person is not focused yet the image on the monitor stays the same. Therefore, I think I can exclude the front/rear optical focus from the cause of the issue.

2. I go outside with the thermal/external monitor setup. Again, I can focus on objects within 15 feet. However, when my neighbor across the street comes out of his house he is out of focus. I can see a blur moving which I know to be a man, but again, nothing like what I expected out of a 640 device.

Still working on the video.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
Ok, got a basic video put together. The image below should give you an idea of distance. I paused and turned around at approximately 6, 15, 19 (middle of road), 22, & 37 meters (according to my range finder). Keep in mind this video is a recording of the external monitor, not a dedicated DVR.

Youtube:

Picture (for distance association): http://i58.tinypic.com/9hn9mc.png

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow I thought I was having some issues with my focus but yours is way worse. Is this a standard Zeus? Not the Pro line correct?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mind you I do not have one or know your situation but,, for the money those things cost I would expect a whole heck of a lot more. Just sayin. Hope you get it figured out. Maybe TLM can help you guys out that are having troubles.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
wow I thought I was having some issues with my focus but yours is way worse. Is this a standard Zeus? Not the Pro line correct?

Standard. Will see what Armasight says in the morning. I wasn't using the direct DVR to record the video, but I think the video is an accurate representation.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, no video yet but I am working on it. I was able to hook the Zeus up to a portable DVD player to display the video out.
1. It appears the focus (front and rear) does not impact the clarity of the image on the external monitor; I can focus on somebody 15 feet away in my house and it looks good on the external monitor. Then, I purposely turn the focus rings until that same person is not focused yet the image on the monitor stays the same. Therefore, I think I can exclude the front/rear optical focus from the cause of the issue.

The video out is the same thing you are seeing on the screen they come from the same lens. From the way you describe it here "I purposely turn the focus rings until that same person is not focused yet the image on the monitor stays the same." Sounds like the focus is stuck at 15 feet and the focus ring is not working. Yous should clearly see things come into and out of focus by turning the ring.

I cant tell much from the video it was only uploaded in 240 resolution but from the description I would send it back. I have not seen this in the thermals before but have seen the exact same thing happen with camera lenses. If I'm right then it will have to be fixed at the factory.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mind you I do not have one or know your situation but,, for the money those things cost I would expect a whole heck of a lot more. Just sayin. Hope you get it figured out. Maybe TLM can help you guys out that are having troubles.
Yellowhammer's problem is a fairly simple to diagnose Keaton's not so much his could be as simple as a finger smudge on the inside of the lens to who knows what. But for what these cost do not delay send them back immediately.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I had the same issue when I received my first scope, which was a 336. Would not focus at all. When you turn the focus ring is there any change?

Time to call customer service and send it back.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

YellowHammer

North Alabama
Ok, I have confirmed the problem is the front focus ring does nothing. When using the external monitor I was able to focus/unfocus at close range (indoor) while the external monitor stayed the same. However, I was using the rear focus to blur the image and noting how the external image did not change. This, of course, was due to the rear focus having no impact on the video output.

The front focus does nothing. Will be calling Armasight when they open.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Same as my first scope. There are screws in the focus ring to make adjustments, best send it back.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Coul
If I was the guy in/doing QC inspections I would be ashamed!!!
If it's the same guy that did the QC on my first scope (when the front lens had two screws missing and about to fall out) I bet his job is in jeopardy or somewhere else now..

YellowHammer

North Alabama
To follow up on this topic, I talked to Armasight this morning and emailed the video while I was on the phone. They agree something is definitely not right. I've already dropped it off at UPS for replacement.