primer tools

Discussion in 'Reloading and ammunition' started by Rappland, May 12, 2017.

1. Rappland

Rappland LSB Member

I'm about to buy one and have no experience with these. Should I go bench mounted or handheld? What to look for when choosing?
    Thanks

2. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

I have the RCBS handheld. I can prime cases at the bench or watching TV after the kids go to bed.

3. der Teufel

der Teufel Livin' the Dream … SUS VENATOR CLUB

I'm not an expert.
    I bought some reloading gear a few years ago at an estate sale. The price was too good to pass up.
    Included with everything else was a Ram Priming Tool from RCBS: Ram Priming Unit - RCBS
    I like it just fine, but I haven't used anything else so there could very well be something better. However, I have no urge to change.

4. sjb67

sjb67 Mineral Wells, Texas LoneStarBoars Supporter

Just my preference but I like to use hand primers on my rifle rounds. Allows you to feel the condition of the primer pocket and spot loose primers

5. pruhdlr

pruhdlr Cantonment,Fla. SUS VENATOR CLUB

RCBS hand primer here also. Will accept any brass. Minimal effort needed. Easy to load and unload.
    I give it ☆☆☆☆☆. --- pruhdlr

6. rgilbert

rgilbert LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

The new Lee auto prime works great and the shell holders are cheap.

7. Rappland

Rappland LSB Member

That's the one I ordered. I already have the base plate so I can remove the press and mount primer. I also cut a wood block to fit the base plate and attached my new to me Redding case trimmer. Now everything is rigid. Wish me luck.

rgilbert likes this.