"Precision shot placement out to 1750 yards"

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Isn't that something we would all like from a thermal scope??? I can't shoot that far, but by golly, I would like to be able to do it precisely if I could. Well, that is what one vendor was claiming for a scope that is no longer being made.

Pulsar Apex Series Thermal Hunting Scopes | XQ38 | XQ50

I came across this page because I recognized the image during an image search. They have "borrowed" a frame of a video I made several years ago. Maybe that is a bit misleading, but I did not give them any sort of permission to use the image. Anyway, that is ancient history. The image is the picture of the running hog. It is taken from the following video from about the 0:31 second mark.

At the time, I had the only Pulsar Apex XD50 scope in the US, on loan from Pulsar for T&E. It is NOT the XQ38 or XQ50 models being sold by the vendor. Technically, the differences are minor, mostly with the display screen being different, the internals being the same, except this was a prototype that was somewhat different from what actually came out (firmware differences).

However, in reading over the page, sort of out of nostalgic reasons, I came across the description that made me chuckle...

"Designed with cutting-edge, “white hot” and “black hot” thermal technology, Pulsar’s Apex Series XQ38 and XQ50 Thermal Hunting Scopes deliver precision shot placements out to 1,750 yards.

The Apex’s thermal core produces a resolution of 384x288 pixels that captures intensely detailed images. Thanks to its high speed 50Hz frame rate even fast moving targets are displayed smoothly on the scope’s crisp, frost-free AMOLED display."

That really is some cutting-edge technology, so much so that we don't really see that kind of performance with higher resolution and higher magnification scopes with bigger lenses available today, such as the Trijicon IR Hunter MK2, 60mm 4.5x.

Geez, I miss the old days when technology was so much better. :rolleyes:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been trying to learn how to shoot precisely to just half that distance. Maybe I just need to get one of those scopes and I would be good to go.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Makes you wonder what some people are thinking that they're accomplishing with half-truth misinformation, or who try to make their love child look better by twisting and manipulating data with another product. Don't they realize the red flags that sends up to anyone with a little bit of working gray matter? Ugh.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Does grey hair count?

Usually, with age comes wisdom but sometimes age comes alone.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been accused of having gray anti-matter... and, I don't think they were talking about my balding head.