Prairie dog hunting

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I'm looking at a varmint rifle to mainly be used for prairie dogs. I have a few friends that have areas up north to go hunt. One is in South Dakota. My question is....

Ranges for hunting will be anywhere from 25 yards out to 500 yards. Is a .233 the most economical option for a rifle?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
223 would be the most economical, but a 22-250 shoots a little flatter and makes the dogs fly a little higher.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
22-250

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of my friends told me they go through 200 rounds of ammo or more in a day throughout their property. That could get expensive with a 22-250.

So that being said, who has experience with a 22-250 ar? Wouldn't that be an ar-10? And who makes one?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would just get a bolt gun in 22-250 for prarie dogs. I don't think a follow up shot requires that much speed. If it is economy you are worried about a 22-250 is not the way you want to go.

I think Olympic arms makes one. I'm only guessing though.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just looked up the olympic arms 22-250. It's $1600 for the one I found. From what I have seen and heard, it's not follow up shot for the same animal. It's hitting the 2 or 3 that are out there. I have gone groundhog hunting in Wisconsin but we just use a 20 gauge. After any shot they all scatter for a while. Everything I see when watching videos and talking to friends shows that prairie dogs don't always duck for cover so you can get a follow up shot on another one.

I did start looking up hunting guides all over the us and almost every one says expect to shoot 400 rounds or more during a hunt. Sadly they all also say no fmj ammo so even loading for that won't be excessively cheap but it would be cheaper than a 22-250. If it wasn't for ammo count I would just take my 6mm brx but loading 500 rounds for that could break the bank. I only have 50 rounds for it so far

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would either use the 223 or a 204 Ruger. The 204 shoots flatter with less recoil. Try pricing some of it's components and it will fit in an AR.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
204 doesn't seem too expensive to load once you get brass. Might be a good option. Seems no matter what I get I'll have to load my own.

Scoutrecon

I tried a 204 for a couple of months the round just didnt have the power that i liked the 22-250 is a Tac Driver at 500.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We use to shoot seagulls from that range with 22-50 a big puff of feathers. Will work extremely well on little dogs you will have a big time.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I LOVE me some .22-250 !! My absolute favorite caribou killin' gun. Mine's a Rem 700 ADL

texas hog man

I use a savage 110 ss bull barrel ( bought back in the early 90's ...funny as all 22-250's are now short action...mine has the long action receiver)...mine also has a slower twist rate than the newer one they sell
The pic is 5 rounds @ 100yards....32gr aa2015 behind a 52gr Nosler hpbt ( careful this load is pretty hot)
Fun gun but you are right it costs a little more to reload for ...but once you have brass its close to same cost as 223.

Attachments

• IMG_20130704_172313.jpg
    IMG_20130704_172313.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 3

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, brass will be that fun expense to pay

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried a 204 for a couple of months the round just didnt have the power that i liked the 22-250 is a Tac Driver at 500.

I love this Avatar!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do I need to try to one up my own avatar?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NOPE

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do have a rather good one I could change it to

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I shoot them even with a 17 HMR, but if I were going to use a gun, I've used my .17 Remington with 20gr vmax. If I were to build a gun and because I reload, it would be a 20 Practical which is .223/5.56 necked down to 20 caliber.