Power Options for FLIR PTS-233

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
The manual of my new PTS-233 stated that rechargeable 123 batteries could be used. I have contacted FLIR to hear it from a tech as well as have it in writing in the manual so there was no chance of me misunderstanding and voiding the warranty. Two different techs told me rechargeable batteries rated at 3.7v are okay to use and the scope may also be powered by a USB power bank, like the Anker, with a minimum output of 500ma @5v. I have some primary CR123A batteries ordered but am thinking of adding either rechargeable 123s or a USB power bank. I know the rechargeable 123s will not have the mah rating of primary batteries but with enough of them charged up several hours of operation should not be a problem. Also, they don't have a 5 to 10 year shelf life like primaries do and would have to be monitored for charge retention when not in use. A USB power bank, say 10000mah, should be plenty of power for a full night of hunting. They also have the "smart technology" to deliver only the voltage and amperage required by the device it is powering so I wouldn't have to worry about voltage spikes, etc. The biggest drawback I see with them is it is something else to attach to the rifle, cables, etc. One of the reasons I went with this scope is because of the built in recorder so I wouldn't have to mount and power a mini dvr. I have found a lightweight, smallish, 10000mah USB power bank that I could go with if I can figure out how to mount it without it being in the way on the handguard or interfere with the brass catcher I use. The other option I am considering is picking up 6 or 8 good rechargeable 123s, backed up by primary CR123As, and not having to mess with attaching more stuff. Does anybody have a recommendation for quality rechargeable 123 batteries? I've found close to a jillion while searching but would like to hear from someone that has actually used them. Additionally, who knows of a case that would hold a USB power bank that can be mounted to a rail or adjustable buttstock? Dang, this post didn't sound this long in my head! What say ye?

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Zeus 3x 336 with a custom cable and using this Ankor battery. Its small and light and fits in the MDVR pouch with the MDVR (snugly) and goes all night with power left over. I have no experience with the rechargeable 123's but have plenty of experience changing out the regular ones multiple times a night. The "penalty" of having a cord and usb battery is minor compared to switching out the regular batteries every couple hours and from what I understand, the rechargeables don't last that long. We hunt big open fields with long stalks so maybe if your hunting from a stand your rechargeables might work but it is so nice to just leave the scope on all night and not worry about power.

bar-d

I don't know which they you are talking about but the ones I have seen are $300+. Little rich for my blood when there are other options.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a Zeus 3x 336 with a custom cable and using this Ankor battery. Its small and light and fits in the MDVR pouch with the MDVR (snugly) and goes all night with power left over. I have no experience with the rechargeable 123's but have plenty of experience changing out the regular ones multiple times a night. The "penalty" of having a cord and usb battery is minor compared to switching out the regular batteries every couple hours and from what I understand, the rechargeables don't last that long. We hunt big open fields with long stalks so maybe if your hunting from a stand your rechargeables might work but it is so nice to just leave the scope on all night and not worry about power.

I use that same battery pack. Just ziptied it to the handguard infront of the scope.

With this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pda0ea-20

bar-d

Got the same battery and it happened to fit an old cell phone holster I had. I bought some velcro straps and strapped it to my stock. Works great, and out of the way. Thanks for the tip Bakester!

Jofus

LSB Member
I use a 7k battery that's 4" long 1" diameter I have 3 of them on qd flashlight mounts I use a 6" pigtail spring cord. That wraps around scope. This is what I use on my battery hog x sight, only pooty thing is no way of telling charge left on battery. But easy to switch out just unplug cable at battery and change out to diferent battery easy peasy . They are very lightweight. Like 12 bucks on Amazon each. Worth a try for the price