Pistol whipped

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Put the 6.8 spc 10.5" AR pistol to work. I was actually out deer hunting and decided to hangout a little after dark to see what showed up. This lone boar (160 lbs) showed up at about 6:30pm. Right away he was real paranoid like typical lone boars. I didn't waste anytime and took aim for a neck shot.

Shot was at 100 yards, shooting a hand loaded 120 gr SST. First shot put him down but I could see that his hind was still fully functional, because he was trying to get away by scooting backwards with just his back legs and face in the dirt. So I put another in the brain bucket to seal the deal.

I am glad this one didn't get away. Experience has taught me to double tap those lone boars quickly.
IMG_20131214_190324_774.jpg

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If I understand your post(please correct me if I don't)you were deer hunting with your NVD/thermal during the legal hunting times of deer. Then when it turned dark you decided to stay and look for hogs.

This is what I have been wondering about. I have thermal with digital crosshair. It is completely useable during the daylight hours. In the PM, we here in Fla can legally hunt deer up until 1/2 hour past sunset. Soooooooo.......wondering if I can take my gun with the thermal mounted hunting deer. Target/shoot deer PRIOR TO 1/2 hour after sunset. Then continue to target hogs and coyotes AFTER the legal time for deer.

At some point will talk to the Fla warden service(FWC)about this. Would be interested in ya'll thoughts and inputs. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You nailed him...Good shooting! I always stay a bit after dark during deer season to see if a hog will come in.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I understand your post(please correct me if I don't)you were deer hunting with your NVD/thermal during the legal hunting times of deer. Then when it turned dark you decided to stay and look for hogs.

This is what I have been wondering about. I have thermal with digital crosshair. It is completely useable during the daylight hours. In the PM, we here in Fla can legally hunt deer up until 1/2 hour past sunset. Soooooooo.......wondering if I can take my gun with the thermal mounted hunting deer. Target/shoot deer PRIOR TO 1/2 hour after sunset. Then continue to target hogs and coyotes AFTER the legal time for deer.

At some point will talk to the Fla warden service(FWC)about this. Would be interested in ya'll thoughts and inputs. --- pruhdlr

You do have a interesting point and that would be nice to know. I know sometimes (overcast evening) my day scope cannot gather enough light and there is still some legal hunting time left. But I am talking minutes, most of the time my trijicon accupoint has no trouble gathering light during legal hunting times.

Just to avoid trouble my night gun has not taken one deer, maybe one day I will speak with a game warden on the matter.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Wassman! So is that still considered a pistol with that contraption on the rear? Also is it suppressed?

Pruhdlr I'm not familiar with the FL laws but in Texas there are no restrictions on thermal scopes. Just do not shoot deer or game animals after the official sunset time, which is usually a bit before the sun has actually set.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As long as you are hunting legal hours w a legal gun and ammo, there is no reg on the scope you use. To be clear a Thermal can be used day and night by design, some other NV SCOPEs can also. I have never seen a game law that tell you what scope you can or cannot use.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So is that still considered a pistol with that contraption on the rear? Also is it suppressed?
Yep it is still classified as a pistol, I even have a letter from the AFT that says it is not a rifle. No it isn't suppressed mine is still in limbo.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The rear part is the Sig, wrist support device that come w an OK letter from the authorities. I was going to get one but found an alternative...LOL

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I now have the question in my post #2 submitted to the Florida FWC(game wardens). It usually takes several days for a reply. I will post the reply. Please remember that this is what Fla sez.....YMMV --- pruhdlr

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good hog. I learned the same thing, if they are doing anything other than quivering around, put another one in them. I doubled on two hogs last year, both went down, one was flopping and got up after a minute and ran off. I used the thermal to track him, long gone.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good shooting wassman. Thermal can be used anytime. Just don't shoot game animals outside of legal hours. (30 minutes before and after legal sunrise/set for deer in Texas)

The sig wrist support is a cool item and even better that it comes with an ATF letter, but my concern is ATF's inconsistent decisions. I hope they di.t decide to ban them after millions have been sold.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I now have the question in my post #2 submitted to the Florida FWC(game wardens). It usually takes several days for a reply. I will post the reply. Please remember that this is what Fla sez.....YMMV --- pruhdlr

Be sure to post up once you get the answer. I tend to go straight from hunting deer during the day into hunting hog at night to maximize the hunt time in our area. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive each way for me to get out there and that takes a big chunk out of the day.

Smitty

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a fine kill with the pistola.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
EXCELLENT!!!
That is a sweet looking rig there.