Pistol hunting

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i have always only hunted with high power revolvers. that way if you need a sight there is no slide to destroy optics of any kind. i think a red dot on a semi auto is just asking for problems. they make mounts that keep the sight from moving but my friend tried that on his 1911 in 50 GI and it just ate up red dots
My red is a Leupold Delta point on the 460 Rowland I have shoot 100s of rounds no issue. Also lifetime guarantee.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I finally got the pistol last night, after over 20 days of jockeying with the LGS and the state, 2 letters of recommendation (one from a Police Chief, and one from the Mayor), and a whole lot of other BS. Stupid CA. Picked up a paddle holster from Hogue ( I also raided their powder! ), Ill get some pictures up asap....

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am a big 1911 fan also and planned on carrying one as a back up while pig hunting. Seldom am I hunting 1 pig, it's usually a sounder so the capacity of the 1911 made me think. I bought a FN FNX 45 tactical and glad I did, even though a 1911 is my favorite handgun.

The FNX is a .45 w/15+1 capacity. They also come with the top of the slide milled for optics. Mine has a Crimson Trace IR laser on it
DSC01152_zps8413a157.jpg

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How do you like the CT lazer? I was looking at one kinda hard. I cant make up my damn mind about anything....

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the CT grips on my little Kimber. I like 'em a LOT. I wish they had the same pressure switch on/off feature on my S&W Bodyguard as CT uses. Being able to activate with just a little pressure from one finger of your gripping hand is very nice.

Kimber002-1.jpg

Kimber001.jpg

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
How do you like the CT lazer? I was looking at one kinda hard. I cant make up my damn mind about anything....

I like it a lot now that we put a neutral density filter in it to tone it down. The problem is the laser is .7mW and it blooms really bad at pistol ranges. We put a filter in it that knocks it down to .1mW, much better. The on off paddles are easy to activate and it has an auto off at 5 minutes.

-hd

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought one for my dad, but it is one of the grip ones like RDs on a Ruger GP100, it shows up very well on hogs at 3ft. I just was not sure of the under barrel ones, I had looked at some of the cheaper ones in the past and really didn't like how the on/off worked or how bulky they were. Ill have to find one locally to put some prints on.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I finally got to shoot this thing, like I thought the trijicon night sights on it are a touch too big for my tastes, and I realized I need to practice with the pistol A LOT more. My best was 4" 10 shot group at 10+/- yards. I can shoot sub-1/4" groups with a rifle, but Ill be damned if I could get myself pulled together last night to make this thing shoot. I do like the holster though, its a Hogue Speeddraw (IIRC), its a lot like the Sherpa holster but instead of using your trigger finger to release the gun, your thumb pushes a button straight down as you pull up. Very natural feel for me.
I am also impressed at how light the pistol is, and its very manageable to shoot. Having only owned one other semi-auto (Ruger P90, a brick that shot like a brick) I do have to say this was much improved over that gun. I have shot quite a few flavors of pistol, and I still think a 1911 is going to end up in my paws before Im done buying guns, but I think I might have to look at a couple more of these plastic guns too.

pitchers for Ratdog
IMG_20131023_174355_444_zps16c4a4fe.jpg

Found a little powder while I was hunting up a holster, got a bit for me and a buddy....
IMG_20131022_151913_937_zps3fd8f3ab.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hope you have better luck with shootin' one of those than I did. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one of those (back when they first came out). The grip angle just doesn't do it for me.

Mmmmm... fresh powder... (for the doughnuts)... err, sorry.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This fixed that problem for me RD!
http://www.gripforceproducts.com/GEN_3.html

-hd
640_x_480_web_site_use_grip_force_gen_3_od.jpg
I saw that product a little while back and got to wondering whether it did.

That's one reason I like the XDm (in the "Combat Tupperware" class of weapons), the grip angle is good right out of the box (for me). When I shot my buddy's, I had to admit that it even felt "more gooder" in the paw than my 1911 does. They (striker fired) still need to make a decent trigger though. I'm spoiled in my old-school ways of a sweet 1911 trigger.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like it a lot now that we put a neutral density filter in it to tone it down. The problem is the laser is .7mW and it blooms really bad at pistol ranges. We put a filter in it that knocks it down to .1mW, much better. The on off paddles are easy to activate and it has an auto off at 5 minutes.

-hd
You guys do some way cool things. I have a CT on my EMP in 9mm have not noticed the bloom. It sure works well. I wish the grips could be thinner is only complaint.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought one for my dad, but it is one of the grip ones like RDs on a Ruger GP100, it shows up very well on hogs at 3ft. I just was not sure of the under barrel ones, I had looked at some of the cheaper ones in the past and really didn't like how the on/off worked or how bulky they were. Ill have to find one locally to put some prints on.
They are making some is green which gives you a whole lot more range even in daylight.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You guys do some way cool things. I have a CT on my EMP in 9mm have not noticed the bloom. It sure works well. I wish the grips could be thinner is only complaint.
I was talking about an IR version to run with NVG's :D

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just make sure that if you neglected guys are ever in the Dallas area you give us a call.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just make sure that if you neglected guys are ever in the Dallas area you give us a call.
I was going to go to Dallas SCI this year, but the birth of my daughter is going to take those funds. Ill be sure and visit next time Im out that way!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How about you Texas guys visit Florida with all the fun toys so we can play too