Pistol hunting

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My Glock 21 Gen 4 gets out of jail on Tuesday, it already has a ghost trigger and trijicon night sights, I cant make up my mind about a holster, I am down to a Sherpa or similar (I think), what other upgrade might I want to consider?? Im not much of a pistol guy, had/have a few, mostly S&W wheel guns, the only autos I have had was a Ruger MKII Target and a Ruger P90 (shot like crap, horrid trigger), so any edumacation would help.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your header is pistol hunting. Is that what you are looking to do?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ya, sorry, working on 6 hours of sleep for the last 4 or 5 days, Im a bit scattered to say the least. I intend to do a little hog and yote hunting in a local river (thick brush, all shots within 50 or so feet) with it this winter, I have been using a ruger 44mag carbine with irons, but ammo is expensive and hard to find locally, and I cant find the brass for it after I shoot. That thing wings them out there 15+ feet. My ARs are scoped and too heavy to fight through the brush with. Im also going to use it for a snake gun when I am fixing fence. Already have a 357 for HD.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what other upgrade might I want to consider?? ...so any edumacation would help.
1911. Even a bad triggered one is good. LOL (I had to)

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hog hunt with a 1911 conversation to 460 Rowland. It is a 45 with 44 mag hitting power. I converted a Sig 1911 XO.
PigHunRowlandKill1_zps05540e28.jpg

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Down to two hunting pistols nowadays. For my closer range stuff I carry a Glock20 in a chest rig. It has a 6" OEM "hunting" bbl and a Viridian high power(full sun useable)laser. Also Tru-Glo TFO sights. I shoot the Double Tap brand of 200gr WFNGC ammo. I also did a "super" $.25 trigger job on it along with a 3.5# connector.

I also use a Lone Eagle(Magnum Research)chambered in 243Win. This has a Weaver 2-6x33 pistol scope. This weapon is a single shot with a "cannon" style breach. It has a 16" bbl including brake. I use a 85gr NosPart. --- pruhdlrDSC00717.JPG 665f_2.jpg

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have hunted with people using the SW 500 was not fun to hunt with them and there cannon

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WTH? Was she a flopping arterial bleed-out? What a mess. LOL Good eatin' sized sow there.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep shot her in the face as she came at me and my son with a 325 gr Speer . The spot on the side of her head was the entrance. She fell on a slope and blood ran all down her.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would love to get a 1911, that's actually what I was hoping for when I put up my rifle for sale. No trades, so I got the glock instead. Ill look into the lazers. Anyone ever put and RMR on a glock? Do they survive???

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
RMR ????? If that is a code to distract the NSA goons from listening to your hog killin' rampages.....uhhh.....it probably wont work.

OTOH ....... if you are talkin' one of them small open red dot sights that are the same price per once as platinum then I would be skeptical that it would last. Seems to me that anything that goes slammin' back and forth attached to the slide,especially with an aftermarket recoil spring,might just self destruct. My G20 is outfitted with a Lone Wolf 20# spring because I shoot exclusively the 200gr WFNGC's from DT. --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RMR ????? If that is a code to distract the NSA goons from listening to your hog killin' rampages.....uhhh.....it probably wont work.

OTOH ....... if you are talkin' one of them small open red dot sights that are the same price per once as platinum then I would be skeptical that it would last. Seems to me that anything that goes slammin' back and forth attached to the slide,especially with an aftermarket recoil spring,might just self destruct. My G20 is outfitted with a Lone Wolf 20# spring because I shoot exclusively the 200gr WFNGC's from DT. --- pruhdlr
I guess you didn't notice it is mounted on a revolver, so no slide banging back and forth. Why would you think this sight would not hold up to recoil or that yours is any better? Just curious.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You are absolutely right. I did not notice/remember that the above pic had a ref. to it mounted on that Taurus RB revo.

I feel that my sight would hold up better than any sight mounted on a slide of any gun. That is simply my opinion. You are most welcome to yours. BTW...why would you feel that a sight that is firmly mounted to the frame of a Glock would not hold up better than a sight mounted on the slide of a Glock ?? Especially with a stiffer recoil spring which produces more effects of recoil that is transmitted to the weapon and your hand. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB

I am talking about one of those little gold platted goodies, I have seen several photos of them mounted, and burris offers a mount for their fastfire 2.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are absolutely right. I did not notice/remember that the above pic had a ref. to it mounted on that Taurus RB revo.

I feel that my sight would hold up better than any sight mounted on a slide of any gun. That is simply my opinion. You are most welcome to yours. BTW...why would you feel that a sight that is firmly mounted to the frame of a Glock would not hold up better than a sight mounted on the slide of a Glock ?? Especially with a stiffer recoil spring which produces more effects of recoil that is transmitted to the weapon and your hand. --- pruhdlr
I can't find where I said anything about mounting points on a Glock and I don't think about mounting sights on a Glock. To me a Glock is meant more for defensive purposes and not so much for hunting and they certainly are useful for finishing off a wounded animal.. I have shot a Glock with a Holo sight mounted to it and it was very cool indeed but still, I am way too long in the tooth to hunt with a pistol.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i have always only hunted with high power revolvers. that way if you need a sight there is no slide to destroy optics of any kind. i think a red dot on a semi auto is just asking for problems. they make mounts that keep the sight from moving but my friend tried that on his 1911 in 50 GI and it just ate up red dots

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i cannot speak for the autos but my RMR has been on that raging bull for 5+ years shooting a couple hundred 325 gr speer handloads a year with no issues. recoil is quite sharp.