Picked up a hog oiler

Lrtx1

LSB Member
So, I found a hog oiler. It's in useable shape, not perfect but useable. The lid is broken/missing and a couple feet are broken.

First thing I had to do was make a lid. A little head scathing and I figured out a mail box was the perfect size. I trimmed the mailbox down more just didn't take a picture.

Should be able to set it up tomorrow. Plan is to bury a couple pieces of a cross tie and bolt it to that. I'll take a finished picture and update yall on how/if the pigs use it. Don't know if yall remember or not but my hogs are pretty stupid, they never figured out the hog roll barrel.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool, first time I've ever seen one of these. Hope it works!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
why are you oiling the hogs??

I wonder if hogs will use a feed lick like cattle do??

Last edited:

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I don't remember having one when we raised pigs in my youth. Dad said they had one before and the pigs they raised loved it. I think we all understand the concept, I just hope the ones I'm trying to shoot understand it too.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
why are you oiling the hogs??

I wonder if hogs will use a feed lick like cattle do??

Not sure about the lick tanks Frank. I have thought about burying one of them 200lb protein tubs at ground level to see what happens. I think most of those tubs have a limiter in them, probably salt, so I don't know how much/well the pigs would eat them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not sure about the lick tanks Frank. I have thought about burying one of them 200lb protein tubs at ground level to see what happens. I think most of those tubs have a limiter in them, probably salt, so I don't know how much/well the pigs would eat them.
Ive tried those lick tubs, even crushed some up and put in corn, soaked some in hot water etc.... for my traps, hogs never cared for it. I had a place where they got used to stealing the cattle cubes/ pellets after the rancher dumped them as a winter supplement. I caught hogs in that area using those pellets in my traps but they never worked anywhere else.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Ive tried those lick tubs, even crushed some up and put in corn, soaked some in hot water etc.... for my traps, hogs never cared for it. I had a place where they got used to stealing the cattle cubes/ pellets after the rancher dumped them as a winter supplement. I caught hogs in that area using those pellets in my traps but they never worked anywhere else.

Dan, I bet one could make a tub fairly easy. Trick would be finding the ingredients the pigs like. I would think staying away from the salt and urea would be a good place to start. If you could find a good source of molasses you could add corn and a fruity flavor. I think they use cement as the hardener.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I would say bc he's having a party with Djones, but for the sake of the joke and after sharing TMI in another thread, seems like my name should be on that short list too :/

Now you done went and did it. Djones will for sure show up in this thread and get it all sidetracked now. He will probably get a Hog Oiler banner before it's over.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, I bet one could make a tub fairly easy. Trick would be finding the ingredients the pigs like. I would think staying away from the salt and urea would be a good place to start. If you could find a good source of molasses you could add corn and a fruity flavor. I think they use cement as the hardener.
I used to buy molasses by the 5 gallon bucket down at the feed store they have it in bulk and you just open the valve on a big tank and get what you need. It works pretty good in some areas and others not so much. Have set hog traps using horse protein pellets, cattle alfalfa pellets, sweet feed , maple syrup, yogurt, almond milk, beer, corn syrup, berry blend flavoring, crushed acorns, jello mix, kool aid mix, left over breads/ veggies, whole acorns with corn, dog food, cat food, fish, tuna, pecans, watermelons, pumpkins, just corn and water and on and on....always trying different stuff. The one thing I have learned is one thing works well here but not there. The one thing that works well here this week doesn't work next week and so on. It's kind of crazy but it keeps it fun also, trying to guess what to use or try next. My favorite for small hogs is definitely crimped corn, almond milk and hot water mix. The young ones really like it.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Got it installed, probably gonna tear up my mailbox.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like that but we just use old carpet tied around a post or tree saturated in oil, you were lucky to find one of those

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If they do find it, they will probably knock it over if not staked down.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter