Photon XT questions

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Anybody here using or used one.
Real world experience only please, not rumors or I heard, she said.

Don't want to get involved with the X-Sight train wreck that does everything you don't really need fairly well but sucks as a night scope - maybe in 6 months to a year when they get thru using consumers as beta testers but not right now.
I have a DVR already, external IR illuminators in various frequencies, only intend to use it at night and all shots will be 75 - 125 yards.

Have an N750 and Photon 5X on 6.8s already but looking anyway.

Thank you for your time and don't waste time and space telling me how nice the X-Sight is GONNA BE SOMEDAY!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Photon XT is sort of like the inexpensive version of an N750, but with a couple less features and much longer. It requires 30mm scope rings.

The views are fairly comparable. The IR illuminator isn't much good, but will get you 50-100 yards depending on what you are seeing. An external illuminator is very beneficial.

I found zeroing the XT to be a bit of a pain, but it zero'd just fine. It runs on 2 AA batteries that also run the illuminator (part of the reason to have an external illuminator).

I have mine on a 5.56 AR15 and it seems to do fine for what it is. This is my "guest" rifle now. What more do you want to know?

Last edited:

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks Brian,
That's pretty much what I wanted to know.
With all the excrement about the X-Sight, you don't hear much about anything else..
Been waiting and watching the XSight but just want something to put on and run - it's for a loaner so I just want it to work.
Thank you Sir!

krm944

I own one. I have only tested in the yard with dogs outside and I assure you the inboard will do what you need at 75 yards. I have Walker hounds and can tell the difference between each hound at 75 yards. My illuminators showed up the day I had to leave town for work. I have read and suspect a good illuminator will enhance your experience.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Re the Photon XT, when using an independent IR source, like a T 20, the image quality cleans up if you use the lens cover with a 22mm hole centered in it.

The newer lens covers have a pop out 22mm center section. Mine does. I bought my Photon second hand about a month ago, so the new lens covers have been out for awhile. It will take some oomph to get the center section to pop out, more than you might think. If I hadn't been told that it was probably removable I wouldn't have pushed so hard for fear of breaking the cover.

To sight in during daylight, you will need to pop the center section back in - there is a pin hole in the cover for daylight use, and reports are that with the built in IR the scope works best with the lens cover flipped open. I will play around with mine some more tonight and report findings.

Plan B if you have an old style lens cover - there are two older styles, one similar to a Butler Creek, as is the newest one, and one that just pops on the objective - is to drill a 7/8" hole in it. 7/" is close to 22mm. And I understand that Sightmark will send you a new style free.

I'll take some photos of the new style lens cover tonight.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Here are photos of the 22mm center piece of the lens cap, in place and removed. The center piece pops out from outside to inside, and takes some force.
In place:

Hmmm, having trouble posting photos, any suggestions?

I will look for a,how to.

JPK

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm, having trouble posting photos, any suggestions?
JPK

"Upload a File"
"Choose File"
When no response, "Close".

Start over. I don't know why, but the first attempt never works for me; the second almost always does.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Load to photobucket and copy the IMG code and paste here, if you change the size in the Settings your pics will always be perfect for all forums.

like this
PICT0657.jpg

JPK

LSB Active Member
Guys, the photos are loaded to Photobucket, and when I copy the IMG code and then paste nothing shows.

I posted the same photos successfully to a thread on the Photon XT over on PM this evening using the same iPad I'm using now, sitting in front of the boob tube.

Maybe I'm too new here?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You don't use the IMG code. You use the DIRECT code. It is the second option. That's what I did here...using the picture button and putting the code in the popup window (edited after discussion with Frank).

DontPeeinthePool.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, that's funny. Well there you go.

I know the problem, maybe, I use the picture button and paste the DIRECT code in the popup window.

Okay pasting just the IMG code directly here...Okay, that works as well.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK, when you click on the IMG you have to wait for it to say "copied" or hit it again, then it is typically ready to go to paste into the thread

JPK

LSB Active Member
On the ipad it doesn't show "copied" like with an IBM base machine. I was successful with the ipad on Predator Masters, re the same topic.

I switched to my desktop, copied the IMG code, saw the "copied" script and here goes, the lens cover with the center pop out installed - you can see the pin hole for daytime shooting:

OK now we're cooking with gas!

The lens cover with the 22mm center piece removed - you push from the outside of the lens cover to the inside to remove, it takes some oomph:

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There you go, you are a PRO now!! Sure tells the story w pictures!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Following. Im in a Similar boat like we talked about on THF. Not sure whether to time the purchase of te Xsight when they get everything worked out and before a big price jump or to settle on an xt as a backup

JPK

LSB Active Member
My schedule has kept me from using the Photon as much as I expected, but our fox and coyote season runs year round and I will be getting out to reduce numbers before our duckling show up. I'll post reports.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Darn work and family commitments get in our way!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Yea, what's with that? Doesn't everyone know there are critters to kill?!

They need to stop scheduling my kids sports and other events during hunting season, and also during fishing season. Hmm, that leaves about a week of time at the end of March, when it is always raining and ugly out.