Parts of hog worth keeping?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I usually just take the front and hind quarters (Boston butt & hams). I do the ice soak & drain method for 3 days and always end up with great pork. I was wondering if I am leaving behind meat that is really worth gutting and skinning the whole hog for. It usually takes me about 10 min to remove the front and hind quarters and then I simply dump the intact torso inthe back 40 for the coyotes.
Should I be taking the "pork chops" tenderloin too? Is it worth theceffort and mess?
Also, which part of the hog is Carne Guisada made from? I want to make my own.
thanks.........

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd definitely take back straps if you're going to the trouble of taking the quarters. The tenderloins are prime cuts... but if they're small, you have to ask yourself whether dealing with gutting is worth it. Me? I'm a meat hunter, so I'd be picking it clean. (Spoken as one who rarely gets the opportunity to hunt, let alone take game, so, my perspective is quite different from one who gets to drop a hog often)

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The tenderloins are prime cuts

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back straps for sure..I will skin and gut hogs under 100lbs and take it all, over I just get the hams and backstraps. The ribs and tenderloins are excellent just depends on the work you want to do.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Carne Guisada can be made from anything I think. Backstraps are the easiest thing to take. You can get to the inside "tenderloin" from the outside if you care to w/o gutting the animal. In my opinion, the front shoulder is the best part of a wild hog. Unlike a deer where the front shoulder is what it is, a hog shoulder in the slow cooker is amazing. The backstraps are always tough and dry on the grill/pit but pan fried in a liitle butter and olive oil, scrumptious!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask --> how do you get to the "inside" tenderloin,from the outside,without gutting the animal ???? ..... even WITH gutting the animal ???? --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
May I please ask --> how do you get to the "inside" tenderloin,from the outside,without gutting the animal ???? ..... even WITH gutting the animal ???? --- pruhdlr
With your Ronco Pooter-Rooter, of course.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
work on any animal

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
10-4 ...... but ..... I was thinking more on the line of one of the orange plastic things you use on deer. You stick it up their ass and twist,the intestines(are supposed to)come right out.

ONLY ..... for hogs ..... you insert it with a machinists press(2000lb,hydraulic)then hook to a VW engine(air cooled) and spin at 1450rpms. In and out 10-15 times,then the ONLY thing that is extracted is the tender loins.

WHAT ............ ?? ........... WRONG ??? --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, I have never used that thing, still in its package...lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or just throw the thing out in the road and drive over it a few times. Then you can pretty much dig around and find what your looking for in there somewhere.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or just throw the thing out in the road and drive over it a few times. Then you can pretty much dig around and find what your looking for in there somewhere.
The Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society endorses this procedure