Palo Pinto County Hog Hunt Part 3

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This week, I returned with dfwroadkill to PP to do some more hog hunting. He had been there a couple of days already and had taken some hogs. So the hogs were a bit harder to find this time. While we got onto hogs twice, we saw more hogs that were either off property or way too far away.

The second part of the video involves a long stalk we made. Basically, the hogs were too far away and the wind was at our backs and blowing right to the hogs. Between those aspects and the crunch vegetation on the ground, it was going to be a very hard stalk. Sure enough, about 300 yards out, the sounder took off. However, they didn't go far and we closed the distance a bit. After all that, we both blew our opening shots, but made up for them with some nifty long range head shots.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That fence post won't be going far, or reproducing anytime soon. But, those hogs are stone cold dead! Tough sow on that first set... really long snout on her too. Nice chootin' there you two.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Ratdog!! On the stalk, we found my hog first, but thought it was dfwroadkill's. I said, "You won't believe where you you hit this..." and he replied that he thought it might be the neck. Then we realized it was my hog and we found his hog and I said, "You won't believe where you hit this..." and he replied he thought he might have hit the neck. We were both so dadgummed tired that he didn't take the hint.

That first sow was my target as the hogs were walking out and I put a round through just forward of her shoulder and she didn't go down. We both hit her near simultaneously when she went down the first time. She was tough and based on her milk supply, many of those piglets were hers.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta feel good to stop an active factory like her. It's nice to be able to tag along through the fine vids you guys share. City living sucks. LOL

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video great shot. You've made some long ones with that Grendel. I have GOT to get a thermal sight, the photon looks silly when I watch these videos. Keep em coming Brian!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian...fun video!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice Long shots there guys. Good going.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good hunt. Man I can't get used to they funky ir hunter reticle.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt. Man I can't get used to they funky ir hunter reticle.

The IR Hunter reticle does have a real crosshair in it. All brands of thermal tend to lose the horizontal line of the crosshair about half the time unless you use a special cable with a ground loop isolator on it. However, I sort of like it when the horizontal line doesn't show up on the IR Hunter video. You can tell where the center of the vertical line is because there is a dot there. So that is the crosshair location, but without image being covered up by the horizontal line.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and good hunt..

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hunting video

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shootin' and great video. Good to see the long range porkys held still - just long enough to get reallly dead.