Pa-Ting

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks to Wassman at the M&G I had the chance for the first time to shoot at metal targets. There is something special about the sound the bullet makes when hitting a metal target. Needless to say I stopped by the local gun shop in Bastrop on my way home from the M&G and picked up a 8" plate target. On Friday I spent a few min welding together some 2" tube steel into stand to support the target, and used lightweight chain to suspend the disk. Its great fun to hit 1" groups, but more fun when you also hear the "Pa-Ting". I put the disk into a cooler with some ice water to get it cold for my thermal scope. I plan to duct-tape a hand warmer to it in the winter.

View My Video

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
Thanks to Wassman at the M&G I had the chance for the first time to shoot at metal targets. There is something special about the sound the bullet makes when hitting a metal target. Needless to say I stopped by the local gun shop in Bastrop on my way home from the M&G and picked up a 8" plate target. On Friday I spent a few min welding together some 2" tube steel into stand to support the target, and used lightweight chain to suspend the disk. Its great fun to hit 1" groups, but more fun when you also hear the "Pa-Ting". I put the disk into a cooler with some ice water to get it cold for my thermal scope. I plan to duct-tape a hand warmer to it in the winter.

View My Video
Hand warmer never would have thought of it, and to think I probably would have been out there with a generator and a hair dryer.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent on the target. You know, depending on the conditions, you may not need to use handwarmers or a cooler. In the morning, the targets tend to be cooler than their surroundings as the day warms up. Late in the day, the targets tend to be warmer than their surroundings as the temps cool. The only time there is a problem is during thermal crossover when the targets are about the same temperature as their surroundings.

This little video shows a bizarrely optimal condition whereby I am able to see the steel targets quite well and even see the impacts on the steel (which does not happen often). The image is not skewed as the steel target makes it look. Instead, the target is leaning backward slightly and to one side...

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always fun sending a few rounds down the range!

JPK

LSB Active Member
A propane torch used to heat a steel target works well all year long.

I agree that there is real satisfaction in hearing the steel ring. The further the shot and then longer the delay between report and ring, the more satisfying!

JPK