over the last three weeks...

neorubio

LSB Active Member
This is a busy year for me at work so I can only go out hunting once a week to relax, breath clean air and disconnect. After a few weeks with no luck (hogs had disappeared), we started seeing hogs again. Two weeks ago I was hunting among vineyards when I heard a sounder. They bumped into my trail, smelled it (I had passed by there 4 hours before that) and they all ran away but one, which decided it was too hungry to leave, and...

neorubio

LSB Active Member
The week after that I went to another property and saw one hog coming directly towards me. I was waiting to see if it turned to have a better shot, but it didn't, it just went on walking straight, so...

So far so good, but...

Last edited:

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Last saturday went out again with a friend. He had never used a thermal scope so when we saw a few hogs I let him shoot with my rifle. He shot 4 times and only killed the first one which wasn't moving. At the moment I thought it might have been his fault (you know, first time with a thermal, running hogs...), but when I watched the video, frame by frame...I don't think it was. In fact he aimed pretty well. I am afraid the POI issues have come back. First shot between the hog's legs broke its spine. The other shots should have killed it and didn't even touch it. I think the temperature might have affected the scope since it has dropped 15 degrees, but I don't really know. Might the .308 caliber be too much for the Trail mount? I'll check zero again and if it has moved I'll put 'loctite' on every screw (as one fellow user recommended). If anyone knows where I can buy the Zero Delta mount in Europe and is kind to tell me I would really appreciate it.

The pictures just before the shots.video_176.jpg video_176.2.jpg video_176.3.jpg video_176.4.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I see you got the audio working now. Nice going.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I liked the head on shot! Very nice! Thought he was going to come up and shake hands. Good Shooting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fine shooting there. Your friend's shot were looking pretty good. That's too bad he wasn't connecting. Your straight on shot on the walker was very nice. You almost had to shoot in self-defense. LOL

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down!! I know the feeling with work being so busy. But its always good when you can enjoy sometime hunting!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice work.

I can’t comment on the mount but here’s try this next time.

I’ve gotten to where I keep my scope powered off until I’m ready to shoot. I can do this conveniently because I have another scanner to use.

I use my pulsar on a heavy and recoil jolting 308 and don’t have any issues. But I do have the D-lock mount and keep it torqued to 44 inch pounds.

Anyway, I’m not having any POI issues with some combination of what I’m doing.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Nice work.

I can’t comment on the mount but here’s try this next time.

I’ve gotten to where I keep my scope powered off until I’m ready to shoot. I can do this conveniently because I have another scanner to use.

I use my pulsar on a heavy and recoil jolting 308 and don’t have any issues. But I do have the D-lock mount and keep it torqued to 44 inch pounds.

Anyway, I’m not having any POI issues with some combination of what I’m doing.

Thank you very much for the information. It's good to know that with that mount there are no problems even with a 308, because if the issue is the mount it can be fixed (if it was the scope that changed zero with temperature, it'd be worse).

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thank you very much for the information. It's good to know that with that mount there are no problems even with a 308, because if the issue is the mount it can be fixed (if it was the scope that changed zero with temperature, it'd be worse).
I think when I was trying to indicate is that I believe I am not having temperature change in zero issues due to the fact that I don’t believe my scope powered on for very long and was suggesting you try that next time out when you were in a colder temperature environment.

I’m not suggesting the new mount completely solved the problem. I really don’t know because I took mine off immediately when I receive my scope. I literally never used the original mount that came with the scope.

My thought on temperature is that the internal core temperature might play a part in affecting the situation in addition to possible ambient temperature issues?

After doing the software update, I performed a test whereby I put my entire rifle in the freezer and quickly brought it out and shot it. Just proved to be a difficult task because the lambs fogged up so bad but I believe I was able to create a slight change in impact. But it was not as bad as some of the reports I had read hear at the time.

My thought was that since the core does heat up a considerable amount, I would keep its runtime to a minimum by using my other scanner.

I could be 100% wrong about my findings but this does seem to be working for me.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
I think when I was trying to indicate is that I believe I am not having temperature change in zero issues due to the fact that I don’t believe my scope powered on for very long and was suggesting you try that next time out when you were in a colder temperature environment.

I’m not suggesting the new mount completely solved the problem. I really don’t know because I took mine off immediately when I receive my scope. I literally never used the original mount that came with the scope.

My thought on temperature is that the internal core temperature might play a part in affecting the situation in addition to possible ambient temperature issues?

After doing the software update, I performed a test whereby I put my entire rifle in the freezer and quickly brought it out and shot it. Just proved to be a difficult task because the lambs fogged up so bad but I believe I was able to create a slight change in impact. But it was not as bad as some of the reports I had read hear at the time.

My thought was that since the core does heat up a considerable amount, I would keep its runtime to a minimum by using my other scanner.

I could be 100% wrong about my findings but this does seem to be working for me.
Yes, I understand. I also have a Pulsar Helion XQ38, so my Trail is off almost all the time. I just turn it on when I see hogs nearby. But even with the Trail off, if the temperature was 30 degrees when I last zeroed it, and just 1 (celsius) degree the other night, that could affect the POI. I know there is no evidence of this, but I read on another forum that many people think this is happening to them. Besides, the fact that it happened during the coldest night so far bothers me somehow. Anyway, I´m putting loctite on every screw. If that doesn't work, I'll try with the newest QD Pulsar mount (since I cannot find the Zero Delta anywhere in Europe and American dealers don't send it abroad). If that doesn't work I´ll sell it and probably buy a night vision device.