Our New Competition 22LR

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
My son and I are going to try our hand at some local club BR 22lr competition.

Savage MKII BTVS 22lr, Weaver tatical rings and a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x50 (30mm):
Note: Leupold is off of my 700 .308 and is temporary until I find a suitable replacement.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Beautiful rifle you have there. Good luck in the competition

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What ammo are you using and how are you finding it?

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I have various boxes and pals (5000 rounds) collected over time. I picked up some Tac 22, Noma and some other target ammo which I used gunbot.net to locate.

I've signed up for email alerts on other sites (like Midway, etc) and my family members always looks out for me too.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet you have to with any gun it likes a narrow list of ammo and it is so hard to find. I was just curious what you were finding most accurate.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I have found that most 22lr rifles have the best accuracy with standard velocities (1000-1100 fps).

I'll report back my findings after some use.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looking forward to your report!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck to the both of you and hope you get it in the center ring and the holes are touching often!!! BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very cool, 22's are a blast, really. I grew up shooting my 22 every chance I got. Just seeing one I can smell the powder from them. Better than fresh baked apple pie.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Made my first trip to the range this morning and had the following struggles:

1. My bench was facing east and the sun was rising(7:30am).
2. Windy conditions (15MPH with gust up to 20MPH).
3. The LOP is 14.25" and I need 12.5" so I was struggling with consistent eye relief (easy fix).
4. The trigger pull is 2.5lbs but felt gritty and heavier (hope it smoothes out with some use or a trigger job will be needed).

I did manage several groups under 3/4" using 36 grain copper plated white box Winchester bulk ammo at 50yds. With tuning and the right ammo, I believe this rifle may be a tack driver, but only time and use will tell.

Here is a 5 shot group (measured .513" outside to outside) :

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
After trying various types of ammo from Match, standard and high velocities. Norma Match 22 performed the worst with average groups of 1.34" -1.50". CCI standard velocity and Tac-22 performed the best. Both (if I do my part) are capable of consistant (repeatable) tack driving accuracy. Down below are the average 10 shots groups:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just picked up a marlin model 60 and took it to the range. I was shooting groups close to that with cci stingers. Awesome shooting there

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got a Marlin 60 50th Anniversary Edition that I still need to get shot in.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tac22 is good stuff... It's all I shoot since last year when I found some

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice rifle there