oo

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg These pics are to show the terrain that I'm talking about in his post.
If u don't want to read all of it, skip to the bottom, but it appears that pigs are very smart and adaptive, so the details of this might matter.
My dad's property is 4.5 hours away in Camp Wood tx. I make it out there for a few days once a month or so. Hogs don't run around much out there during deer season, I think, because the pressure from all the deer hunters make them smart enough to stay away from the feeders until all those smells and activity calms back down. I was there during deer season and did some hog scouting my last day (end of Nov) .
In the general area (within a few hundred yard radius) I saw what I think was about 10 day old rooting and also saw what I think were hog tracks and hog scat. I also found some hairs near the bottom of a barbed wire fence where it looks like they're crossing. But no pigs on any of my dads, or his neighbors' game cams since the last one I shot out there in October with the exception of one or two on game cam only a couple times during Nov/beginning Dec. There wasn't a lot of rooting, tracks, etc. and typically when they are on someone's game cam out there, it's typically only 1 boar, or maybe a group of 2-4 pigs. It's usually between May and Sept that they are seen the most often on cam. Rarely a sounder of 10-ish will travel through but it seems they only stick around for a couple weeks (when I'm not there). I don't really see the same pig/pigs out there consistently for more than a month or so. I think it's due to the fact that a lot of properties out there are between 5 and 50 acres and a lot of the land owners shoot them on sight which makes them smart real quick, keeps them on the move or just dead.
So, I found a specific spot right in front of a good amount of tree cover, that also has several heavily used game trails intersecting at multiple points within about 20 yards, and it is also near a low spot of a dry creek bed with a rock bottom (it's usually very dry around there, but if there is gonna be water on the property, it would settle there after a rain). I'm going back in a couple weeks to rescout and prepare a pig set up for success this summer. If there are still signs there, I will move a feeder and maybe a box blind. I plan on using the dry kool-aid trick on the trails and near the fence, throwing soured corn down in the cracks between the rocks in the area, setting up a game cam, topping off the feeder and setting to throw at 8 pm and midnight (will adjust throwing times when/if I can start luring them consistently to the feeder and get them on some sort if schedule). I really want to make a rub post and a pig pipe, but the terrain is very rocky. I can hardly get a pop up blind anchored down on 4 corners bc the steaks hit rock after about hammering them through 2 inches of dirt. (See pics) Maybe I will just have to use nearby trees as a rub post and to anchor a pig pipe. I guess my questions are,
1. What is the best way to set up a pig pipe and a rub post given the rocky terrain won't allow me have them staked into the ground? Is there a better way than using a tree to prevent it from getting all tangled?
2. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help set up this spot for success and start luring/baiting them in to that feeder?

Thanks- Blake

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Blake, nice area!
Our hogs disappear deer season and come back in March also. To anchor your roll barrel/pipe you should chain them around 2 cinder blocks, it keeps them pretty much in place. Find a dead tree or a live trash tree and wrap a carpet around it, secure it and pour kreso-dip on it to stimulated them, or hog scents. Good Luck!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank has you covered on the pig pipes and rubbing. Also besides hunting pressure during deer season in my area there is plenty of food during that time. Starting the end of December to planting time late march early April is when they really hit my feeders.

You just have to learn when the farmers around you plant and harvest their crops. The hogs will disappear and hot those areas for several weeks at each end. For example there is a farmer who has no pigs anywhere all winter but once he plants you will see hogs every night until the corn gets to high. Those hogs were someplace else all winter. They know the plantingschedules. Of course this drought has messed them up. My inlaws have not planted in two years now because of the drought. The hog population is way down because of it.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. Thanks for the added input gentlemen.
My dad says there aren't any farmers very close. I told him hogs will travel up to several miles a night. How far away do u think the farms/crops can be before they're "too far" to affect the hogs

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well we have NO farms at all, so i am not sure, but they do travel from the Wet area to the feed and hit wet areas along the way to the next feeder. I have baited them in from about a mile away by trailing corn to my baited areas. Generally the lead Sow has a route she likes to go, places she beds and eats, lone boars wander and juveniles are like any kid, willy nilly in their patterns. You can become the farmer next to your baited areas to help bring them in, we use plot for deer and the hog enjoy them too. There are plants hogs prefer, corn, turnips, chufa, soybeans, milo and such. I would plant drought tolerant plants and see if that draws them in.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It sounds to me like it would be more worth while for you to put in a low water trough and let it trickle over to make a mud hole. If water is scarce, get water, if food is scarce then food will be the ticket.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good thinkin guys. My dad and I were already actually going to do that with a low trough. There is a bendable pipe near the water well (my dad is the water/well operator for the neighborhood) that he said is long enough for us to run it from the skinning rack water hose to the area that I plan on setting up. I still can't figure out a cheap wallow set up because there are only a couple inches if dirt before u hit rock bottom. I want to let the line steady drip water into a trough on a low flat rock bottom of the dry creek bed (as these areas tend to allow water to pool and hold the longest) so if it overflows the water will still hold in the solid rock bottom. Then maybe I could dam it off on one side with bags of concrete and gather up as much dirt as possible and make a mud bank on one side of it. Most sections of the dry creek bed that fit the flat bottom description are in kinda thick cover. The shade will be good for evaporation purposes, but the cover would be bad for shot opportunities. Cows will also be a bit of an issue always drinking all the water.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Drove out to my dad's place to try and create an ideal stomping ground for hogs. I made some roll barrels, took sections of carpet for making rubs on trees, ran a long heavy and not very flexible pain in the ass big black hose (that sounds bad hah) from the skinning rack all the way to the hunting location where there is a natural hole weathered out in a low spot of a dry creek bed and camouflaged a trap so hopefully it will bring some success later....

Thoughts? Suggestions?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dump the corn out of the bucket in the trap, the top part stops stinking and they want the corn on the ground. Looks like you are doing all you can right now.