One for Three Opportunities

JPK

LSB Active Member
Hunted Tuesday afternoon for a sika deer with a crossbow. Our early duck season kicks in Saturday and runs through next Saturday and the sika will be scarce for awhile because of the gunfire, so I was out for a sika of about any description (except an up and coming stag.) Managed to connect on a hind (doe) three minutes before legal time was up. I was hunting in the woods and saw her coming with an IR Patrol. After blood tracking an amazing distance given pretty good shot placement, found her with the Patrol too.

A bud, Aaron, who is new to hunting and just got his hunter safety certificate, was hunting as my guest at my club as well, but got busted as he lined up on another hind.

After finding and hanging the sika, we met up with another bud, Jeremy, and went predator hunting. My thermal and night vision, but those guys were going to be doing the shooting.

We started at a friend's farm and had a pair respond within a minute or two, with the female charging the call. Our open space was only maybe 50yds square and the male held back and didn't present a decent shot. Aaron waited as long as he could hoping the male would give Jeremy a shot, but when she pulled up short at the call, about 20yds away he put a 6.8 round into the base of here neck. She dropped DRT.

We moved several hundred yards to another semi open area with about 100yd square area of lower crop height and had another pair charge in, with one going right and one going left around the perimeter. The one going left was going to wind us, so Jeremy, who had forgotten a tripod, tried an offhand shot at 75yds or so, with no joy. No joy on a couple of follow up shots as well. Funny thing since Jeremy was a scout sniper in the Army and is still in the Reserves. Lesson: Don't forget the sticks! There was some miscommunication and Aaron didn't take a simultaneous shot on the stationary fox to the right and then missed a running shot.

We went back to my club and tried a stand, but the wind was swirling and we were busted by two, coming from opposite directions. Then we moved to check on the gut pile, but it was long gone by then. We had a pair responding from a couple of hundred yards, but they went behind some taller crops and never showed. We suspect the swirling wind gave us away.

Aaron was really excited that his first hunt provided as much excitement as it did. Here are Aaron and Jeremy with Aaron's first fox:

Good news that the bulk of the hunting season is right around the corner.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Curly, thanks. It was a fun night, and a great start for a new hunter.

Looking forward to when the crops are in and we get some visibility!

JPK

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work... but? No love (pic) on the Sika Deer? A/K/A: Japanese Miniature Elk... find out if they have ivories (two teeth) like Wapati (elk) do. They taste about the same as Fallow Deer. Congrats, they're fine eating deer.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job guys. Deer Rifle season does not start till around Thanksgiving here in NC. Harvested the corn next to my house should be lots of deer on the fresh harvest.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Ratdog,

Yes, sika make some fine eating. I don't know about the ivory, I will have to check it out and report back. Do elk cows have ivory, or just the Bulls?

No photos, we were in a hurry to meet up with our predator hunting bud, who was waiting for us. Nothing much worth a photo anyway. MD's sika are from the smallest strain/subspecies and this was a small hind. A huge stag may go 120lbs, and good six pointer about 80-100 or so. We very rarely get stags with more than six.

Rob,

Our firearms season starts the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but we have bow (or crossbow) or muzzle loader seasons going on until then. I hunt the sika at my hunting club in a rifle county, and whitetails at a club in the adjacent shotgun or muzzleloader only county.

JPK

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Both sexes of (Wapati) elk have ivories. Would enjoy learning whether the Sika have them as well. Congrats again on one for the freezer.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ahhh...the fall hunting begins. How sweet it is.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Dan, you are so right. I've been waiting, anxiously!

Ratdog,

I'm heading back to my club tomorrow, but will probably have to wait til I kill another sika. I skinned and boned the hind Wednesday morning before heading home and left remains where I dumped the gut pile. I doubt there will be anything but hair there when I look tomorrow.

I will hunt sika tomorrow night and might get lucky again, we are allowed one stag and two hinds each of bow, muzzle loader and rifle seasons. Hunting Saturday evening too, but I think prospects are dim since we'll have six or seven guys hunting ducks in the morning, including me.

I'll goggle elk ivory to know what to look for.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
ogling Elk Ivory, I found what to look for, and then tried goggling Sika Ivory, and on the Maryland Whitetail forum, apparently a Maryland deer hunting forum, I found these answers to the question, "Do sika have ivory teeth like elk?"

"Yes, they have them.... Have heard them called 'whistling teeth'"

And "Eric: They sure do. In elk they are sometimes called ivories, tusks, buglers, canines or whistlers. Nice keepsake for a ring, etc. Doug "

I'll get some photo when possible.

ETA: Wish I had known about the sika ivory, my son killed a heck of a nice six pointer last year. Hmm, thinking about it, the taxidermist and I kept missing each other and the cape, with skull and horns, is in the freezer! So, the ivory is there too!
Here are a couple of photos:

JPK

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good to know that they have them too.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice picture of you son getting a very nice buck. Will be great family memories.