Old ammo casings - identify?

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Clearing out an estate in Idaho and ran across these; most of the items in this area of the attic were from 1940s - '60s. No live rounds found...

image.jpg image2.jpg

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks like military blank rounds 30.06 I think. Made in Lake City in 1962.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm... Are you sure? He had seven grandchildren.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seems hard to believe that he was shooting blanks...

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The military used to do a lot of training in the mountains. I've picked up several while hiking in Colorado. Maybe he did the same and just kept them.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks a little short for an 06 to me. I am more on the line of 7.62 NATO (.308 Win for you civies). Blank of course. Also I don't believe the 06 blanks have the elongated neck. I am sticking with 7.62X51 NATO.

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it is the 308

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And it appears to have been fired in some type of full auto. Notice the large firing pin indention.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You are probably right. Since '62 the most common 7.62 weapon was the M60 machine gun. A few M14's were still around, but not as common.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for all of the help - the blanks from military training actually make sense. They were found with his fishing (not hunting) gear, so it would appear that he picked them up while wetting a line in the Idaho mountains. Mystery solved!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
7.62x51 blank is what it is. Most base honor guards use them too. Our honor guard practices next door to my work and I've picked up a few.