OK,,,,Im lookin at a .458 SOCOM and need your input guys.......

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You're gonna have fun.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Whats the feet per second on those Smith?

I payed 53.75 for a box of 20. Those cost even more.......

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IIRC they run 1550-1750fps normally 1650+-. If you get those TTSX's for $54 keep on getting them. Best price I have ever seen on them. Normally over $70/20. But I roll my own so I don't look too often at loaded ammo. If you count loading new they will run $2.50 each in components alone. Bullets and brass run about $1 each and then powder primer etc. You got a screaming deal!!

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Your right, I just bought all the stuff I need to reload. Ive got a buddy that's gonna do it for me.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My last foray...

0928151617_zpssungiaz0.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
THAT's... much goodness right there!

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
WoW!!!

Looks like a lot of fun ahead of you, but a lot of hours behind you.

You use the hollow points on deer?

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hollow points are my plinkers. Don't like how they shoot so they are for playing around. The FTX is for hunting along with the TTSX that are already loaded. I have about 10 different pills ranging from 143gns to 525gns. The 405gn really punch. TOO much fun.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The TTSX is the most accurate I have found. Right at MOA edge to edge in the SOCOM. The FTX are pretty close. If I were to play with more powders I may be able to squeeze it down a bit. But since we are talking 45cal bullets I do not feel it is really necessary. I am not looking for a tack driver here. That is what the 264LBC is for.

With that, the TTSX is my primary hunting round. I have about 200 loaded. The FTX is second in line but much cheaper, almost 1/2 in cost of bullet. I also like the 405's but they can be punishing and again not necessary for the animals I will be going after.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On the SOCOM forums 458 SOCOM Load Data. I worked them up from the data there. I use H110 for all my loads right now. I tried Lil gun also but had more consistent results with H110.

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here's a few more from a while ago. 405 rem and the 300 ttsx.

IMAG0147_zps150f5874.jpg