OK,,,,Im lookin at a .458 SOCOM and need your input guys.......

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
I want a .458 and "DO NOT" want to buy this upper, or buy this lower.....Get this,,,get that, Bla, Bla, Bla.

I want a good AR that's complete and ready to go right out of the box !(Other than the scope)

Whats your input on this Rock River .458 ? I want a complete gun that's ready to go.......(Thanks for your help)

Rock River Arms: LAR-458 Beast

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know what I would/wouldn't do, and buying a complete AR is one of my wouldn't do's. #1 reason for that is... it chaps my hide to give an additional 11% of tax to the feds when purchasing a completed rifle. I'd rather have those funds go towards parts upgrades or ammo (reloading components).

What I read from your post is that you have your mind made up and want the group's approval to your decision to help you feel good about that decision.

That being said, I'll just sit back and wait on the report of the post-purchase field results. And, I'd love to add a .458 SOCOM upper to my pile. My choice would most likely fall into a Tromix upper... or a barrel/bolt and prepped receiver. I like building my own tinker toys with well-spec'd parts.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talk to Todd, he is testing one now and a 50 Beowulf, not sure your reason for one but he shot subs and supers, suppressed and not...see his latest video

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I can't really answer his question I have a LWRC lower with unmarked uppers. It's a fun little thumper great if your going after a big one. Only draw backs I can see is limited ammo in the magazines. What ever you get you should try the bowers Vers 458 suppressor it reduces the muzzle climb amount other things.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The Rock River is a great rifle. Remember to get the carbine length gas system as the mid length will only work with certain powders. Go to the 458 Socom forum and hang around for a while. If you get one let my know and I'll send you my load data. I love shooting mine, I just haven't done as much with it since I went to the 6.8.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess my question would be why do you want one, I know just because but I think there are more reasons not to than to have one.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
OK,,,,I give up.

A lot of people have been telling me to buy the gun in parts.

Where is a good place to get a Wilson Combat or Tromix upper on line. You don't need a FFL to get an upper, or have it sent to your house,,,right?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right all but the lower receiver can be mailed to your home

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think your openness to an upper/lower separately is a good decision. Here's for the Tromix website. Plenty of options listed there.

458 SOCOM Parts

We pay enough for the gear, giving the Govt. a bonus 11% excise tax for a complete rifle just ain't right in my book.

Whether it's a Tromix, a Wilson Combat, a RRA upper, pick your poison. I'd be cautious of some of the peripheral (lesser known) brands, I've heard of one which was reverse engineered from a more established brand, and some reliability issues have been reported.

The upper receivers are tweaked, to enlarge the ejection port to accommodate this larger round. Haven't learned much more of the details than that for upper mods needed. Should function on your favorite lower w/o much consideration though.

I'm jealous... would love to be adding one to my stable. Give us a tale of your journey once you find your's.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought a RR 16 carbine upper for my lowers. It is very accurate. Just remember this is a very SPECIAL cartridge to reload for. You have to use Imperial Sizing Wax when sizing the cases or you WILL stick them. Work you loads up from what is listed on the 458 forum watching for pressures. It takes large pistol primers, but don't use the Federal. As you can see from this short statement its not for the beginning reloader IMO. There is tons more you need to know and I highly suggest you visit their forum.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Thanks for all the help guys.
Just so you'll know, I don't reload so all ammo will be factory

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
http://458socomforums.com/ It takes a bit to get registered but there is virtually zero spam.

The 458 SOCOM is a blast to shoot. Yes ammo can be hard to find at times. Only a few manufacturing since it is still considered a wildcat. If you want solid performing parts I recommend Tromix. They have complete uppers available. Yes the carbine gas is what you are looking for. I have 3-458s A Rock River 16" complete upper, a 16" Tormix barrel and bolt and a 10.5" Tromix barrel and bolt. The two Tromix I built from the ground up and could not be happier. The 10.5 is in pistol configuration but want to SBR it. I went with a Lane suppressor. Works very well. There is a SOCOM owner on the forums that just purchased a Bowers to compare to his Lane so I am looking forward to his report as to which is better. Biggest drawback to the Socom is the cost of the factory ammo. It averages $2.50 to $3.50 per shot. If you do not reload it can he rather expensive to shoot. Also remember it was designed to use a standard M16/AR15 lower. Heavy springs or buffers can cause all sort of problems feeding and ejecting.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
This is from the 458socom site,,,,,"Sorry, registration is currently disabled."

Hey, if I want to stick with a 300-350Gr bullet I need a 1:14 twist rate correct?

Thanks for your help!!!

Is this the one I want?
SCM18
Complete assembled 16.25" .458 SOCOM upper $699

458 SOCOM Parts

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you follow the directions in this post http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=1529.0 you will get registered. They manually register every new member. It prevents spam bots from taking over the site. It may take a few days but Tony M will get it done. The one in 14 has come out to be the best over-all twist rate. Tromix played with 1-18 but did not perform any better. The SCM18 will work great.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aimpoint would be perfect. Only limiting factor is the recoil. The 458S is a Cheap Scope killer. So long as it is a quality optic it will hold up fine. I prefer some magnification on mine but that is only a personal preference. Since it is a sub 150yd gun, (200 if you really work it up) red dots are fine. I have a Vortex red dot on my 10.5" but I may have blown it up. Glad they have a lifetime warranty.

PS, Great choice on the tromix. I cannot laud their customer service enough. Great team there and a great product to boot.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
You said "customer service",,,,your right.
I called and talked to one of there people for about 20min about what I needed. Geat guy, just wish I could remember his name.