OK help me figure this out

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm looking at the Armasight Zeus 2x16 640, and the Armasight Zeus 3x12 336. Only reason I'm comparing the 2 is the 640 is on sale for 10% off. I've found out the only difference is it also has a double quick disconnect mount, instead of a single on the 336. Then I got to reading the specs on the detection and recognition. Now this is what blows me away. The 640 is 900/600, the 336 is 650/400 IIRC. I'm wondering what magnification they are doing the detecting and recognition on? Is it the 16X vs the 12X or the 640VS the 336?

YellowHammer

North Alabama
I don't know enough about your questions to offer any help, however, I was looking at the same scopes last month myself. Keep in mind that the 2x16 640 scope is actually 1.5X. However, based on what I think I know, with digital zoom, that 1.5 scope turns into a 3X scope with approximately 336 resolution. So the 640 scope could be a great spotter/close in shooting scope and have the capability to do the same thing the 3X 336 does all in one device.

If the two are close in price it is something to think about. Check out Brian's post on the 2X 640 for some video.

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/armasight-zeus-2-640x512-42mm.4118/

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The answer would be both, but the more important variable to my mind is the better 640 core giving you finer details.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But I would ask Todd to verify

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The resolution that is posted is at 1x magnification. What scope is better for you depends on ranges that you hunt and budget. Like stated above the 640 core will give you a better quality image, more detail. Whats important is that digital magnification degrades the image, at 2x digital the 640 becomes a 320 and the 336(320) becomes a 240. So if you have a 640 with 2x optical and a 336 with 3x optical the 640 will look much better but it will have less magnification.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's mostly the resolution with higher resolution you are able to see definition instead of a blob.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know enough about your questions to offer any help, however, I was looking at the same scopes last month myself. Keep in mind that the 2x16 640 scope is actually 1.5X. However, based on what I think I know, with digital zoom, that 1.5 scope turns into a 3X scope with approximately 336 resolution. So the 640 scope could be a great spotter/close in shooting scope and have the capability to do the same thing the 3X 336 does all in one device.

If the two are close in price it is something to think about. Check out Brian's post on the 2X 640 for some video.

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/armasight-zeus-2-640x512-42mm.4118/
Yes, one of the main reasons I'm looking at this scope. A great FOV, for stalking in close, then target acquisition when the fun starts.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also 3x seems to be the magic magnification for me, wide field of view but still some help. The 2x was ok but for me it made the smaller hogs look very tiny I feel the need to get up to about 40 yards with it. The 100mm 4x seems more like 5x to me and I am very comfortable taking 100 yard plus shots with it, but anything close and moving is challenging.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I can probably verify this week, but I am certain my local dealer has a 336/42 mm scope that came with a dual throw lever mount. Perhaps a call to Armasight could verify if all models will have the dual throw mount?

The 336 model is very impressive also. But I personally felt like the digital zoom cost to user too much field of view. But once you see it in person you'll probably realize you don't need to zoom that often.