Observing wild hogs

jglass

LSB Member
Now that I have a Pulsar thermo imaging scope I spend more time watching wild hogs and making observations. This took place in the Crystal River, Florida area.

1. sense of smell: A hogs greatest asset is sense of smell. I watched a hog 30' from my box blind 8' above the ground. I think he winded me a few times because he acted nervous and threatened to leave the bait pile but always returned to the bait pile and resumed eating my cracked corn. After 30 minutes of eating the hog wondered off.

2. Hearing: My AR-15 bumped the wooden blind a couple of times but the hog either didn't hear it or was more interested in eating than running off. I watched a deer one time, when she heard the gun safety click off she heard it, looked at me and scampered off. My bait pile is located 100 yards from a small county road. At first when a car passed down the road the hog acted startled and turned around to run away, but returned to the bait pile to resume eating. After a few more cars passed the hog ignored them.

3. Sight: I have no idea how a hog can run through the jungle at full speed and not crash into a tree. Not very often I hear hogs stepping on sticks on the ground. The walk very quietly. Took a low intensity LED flashlight
(Not a night blaster) turned on the flashlight pointed toward the sky then lowered slowly downward. Finally the hog saw the light, startled he ran about 10 feet but returned to the bait pile. I put the light directly on him and he seemed to ignor the light. Felt it was not a threat and ignored the light.

Not sure why he left after 30 minutes but he just wondered off at about 6:45 PM. Odds are he returned or other hogs came to the bait pile. I went home at 7:00 pm.

It is amazing what I can see with this Pulsar XQ38 trail thermo imagingscope. I can detect hogs that are far into the jungle. I can see mice on the ground 100' away along with other wildlife.

Last edited:

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hogs can hear pretty good. However just like us when we're chewing on corn nuts, it diminishes their hearing because of the noise. I've always heard pigs can't see very far. I call BS on that too. Full moon night, myself and Danger Ranger and one of his friends were hunting pigs. Numinous times we found 1 or 2 pigs out in big open cut corn fields. Wind was blowing 5-10 mph. We were making our approach from downwind. However about the time we got roughly 250-275 yards the pigs would look up at us and take off. We ended up setting up at 300 yards and shooting couple.

jglass

LSB Member
If you were approaching on open ground I'm not surprised they saw you. I see hogs on my bait pile walking out to my tree stand in daylight. They are 80 yards away with countless trees (jungle) between me and them but they always manage to see me and run off then return later.