NV question

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Will an IR illuminator cause a thermal or Gen III unit to "bloom" if used near it? Just wondering if several hunters are using different equipment.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Thermal will not see the ir light. The gen 3 will see it, if it is on high it will cause bloom depending on how close in it is aiming.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An IR Illuminator doesn't really bloom like an IR aiming laser does but yes it can be to bright. It can also damage the tube if used in close proximity or for extended times.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
different IR lights with different frequencies will have different blooming effects on different types of NV at different ranges with different terrain and tree limbs hanging down between u and your target..... I'm pretty sure. That was my experience with digital night vision n750 and gen 3 pvs-14.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
ir-illum often makes it harder to see farther, not easier, counter-intuitive. Especially bright ir-illum, especially with any water in the air. I have 4 x ir-illm, one B450 came with ps-22, another 850w came with CO-LR and the other two are T20s from a guy named Kevin in NY. They've help me shoot in about 8 scenarios out of about 4,000 rds down range at night in the past 2.5 years. I have the two smaller ones mounted on my helmets and they do help see into the shadows at short distances and in the woods. So I occasionally use them to help navigate. I keep them on lowest power and maximum "focus", meaning the smallest cone of light. When using ir-laser, they can sometimes help reduce the "bloom" of the ir-laser at close distances this is about 6 of the 8 helpful cases I've had.
But in general, if I didn't have any ir-illum, I would be fine and could do what I've been doing without issue. I'm sure there are good use cases for ir-illum, but in the terrain around me, the flint hills, mostly open pastures, I don't see many use cases, except for short distances, in the woods, looking into shadows, etc.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No to thermal thermal only sees heat. Yes the night vision for example when we did the thermal comparison last year everyone using 3rd Gen nv was washed out by the ir illuminator on brains digital night vision scope. Of course that ir illuminator was more like a red light than a ir illuminator I swear I could see the beam lol.

JPK

LSB Active Member
In my limited experience with a Gen3 PVS 14, a T20 proved very useful on a dark drizzly night at closer and mid ranges, out to about 125yds, but as mentioned, on high power it was a little detrimental to longer range views.

On a clear, 2/3 moon night it wasn't needed at all.

One very useful feature is that even on low power, at extended ranges, critter eyes lit up, even when the critter was not otherwise visible.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One very useful feature is that even on low power, at extended ranges, critter eyes lit up, even when the critter was not otherwise visible.

Dead on info. In my experience, it has come down to humidity. If it's a dry night and you're looking across a big field and there is no moon, they work great. If it's even slightly humid, you can get a 'high beams in fog' scenario pretty easily. I've found that if you're on top of a 20' or higher hill or stand, the air is drier up there. If the humidity and terrain work out, an illuminator with a tight beam (SuperTac or IR450 on the spot setting) can be useful for spotlighting a large field for eyeshine.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should have asked a little more specific question, and given more details.

I have an ATN X-sight 3X12, I bought an ebay T50 illuminator. If there are any overhanging limbs or tall weeds grass in front of me. It causes the auto-dim on the ATN to dim the display till it is very limited. I'm wondering if using the T-50 will have any effect on my friend if he is using a PVS-14 gen3? I don't want both of us to be unable to shoot, due to poor displays caused by the T-50 over illuminating the target.

Edit,
We hunt in central Florida during the summer months 90% humidty+.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Customcutter,

I have a Photon XT and have experienced a similar problem with "backsplash" from reflected IR light, from a T20.

The T20 has high and low power and a focusable lens, similar to the T50.

I have found that there are some set ups where the backsplash from tall grass, brush or tree limbs is just too much no matter what I do... But I have found that for most set ups, using the zoom feature to narrow the beam to avoid the backsplash, and then using the minimum power level which provides sufficient IR light for that set up works pretty well in limiting the backsplash. Perhaps you have tried this, but if you haven't I think you might be surprised at how well using the zoom to limit reflection works.

BTW, I have read that too much IR light can damage a PVS 14, especially a non auto gated version. I suspect that if your X-sight is getting too much backsplash, so would a PVS 14 be getting too much IR light, at least for it's health.

JPK

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
JPK,
Thanks for the explanation. I thought that originally that focus, brightness on the T50 was the cause. It was my first NV hunt, and I was set up under a large oak tree with low hanging limbs. I had a boar hog walk by at about 75 yds and had a hard time trying to illuminate him. I finally tried a shot, but missed. (I didn't zero the scope properly). I went back a few days later and tried zooming in the T50, but the Xsigjht was still auto dimming terribly. I went back a couple weeks later and set up in another location and the boar came out about 5 minutes before total dark. The Xsight is great at extending daylight shooting mode without illumination, I managed to get him that day.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Sounds good. I'd suggest trying to limit reflection with the zoom feature. There is a learning curve with a digital and IR light combo, it took me awhile to figure out how to limit the backsplash to get the scope really functional, but once I progressed up the learning curve I found the digital remarkably useful - which wasn't my first impression!

If the T50 is too much maybe a T20 would work better. Range with the T20 and Photon combo can be well over 100yds and I can watch deer at 300-400yds (they are dim siloettes, but you can watch them) when I set up right to avoid the backsplash. Fwiw, a little height definitely helps limit backsplash, hill or rise, or being at the bottom of a hill or rise looking up can help too.

JPK

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should have asked a little more specific question, and given more details.

I have an ATN X-sight 3X12, I bought an ebay T50 illuminator. If there are any overhanging limbs or tall weeds grass in front of me. It causes the auto-dim on the ATN to dim the display till it is very limited. I'm wondering if using the T-50 will have any effect on my friend if he is using a PVS-14 gen3? I don't want both of us to be unable to shoot, due to poor displays caused by the T-50 over illuminating the target.

Edit,

The dimming on the X-Sight is supposed to be fixed or changed in the next firmware release in the X-Sight, at least that is what atn said a week ago that it would be released in the next couple days lol, heard that before.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Edit,

Yes your ir illuminator will wash his out the 3rd Gen pvs is way more sensitive, Brian was using the pulsar digital scope and blinding everyone with 3rd Gen Nv. Now depending on a couple of things they may be able to recover if the NV is auto gated and has a just able gain then they should be able to turn it down. But then when his targets run out of your light he will have to turn it up again. He wi) most likely need his own ir light and adjust his unit to it to keep every thing equal. But thermal would be a better choice to hunt with someone who needs extra light to shoot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And the complaining never stops, LOL! :p

Not complaining just stating the facts answering the man's questions sir! :)

I was using thermal so the only way I knew was hearing all those guys using 3rd Gen go ohhhhh and the whine of those autogated pvs-14's!

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The dimming on the X-Sight is supposed to be fixed or changed in the next firmware release in the X-Sight, at least that is what atn said a week ago that it would be released in the next couple days lol, heard that before.

Yes, they just released 288. No idea what is fixed and what is damaged. Seems there are always trade offs.

I'm trying to hold off going thermal. Seems like NV is a sickness. I need to find a support group. I haven't looked on-line yet. Maybe that would be a good idea for a new forum or at least some new sub-forums on existing forums.

thanks for the answers guys,
Ken

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here I thought the guys were poking fun at the Xsight, and there making fun of Brian...

Oh no he was not even using the xsight. And not making fun of just trying to answer your question. All though man hands Brian ping has been known to provide quite good entertainment over the years! :)

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know Brian never owned an Xsight. He cancelled his pre-order after waiting 4 months, he told me.

I do like the Grendel, and love it when his machine goes ping in his video's, but that's another addiction....that and Angry Bird!