Now that's a Lot of Tuna Sammiches

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sounds more like bonito. Albacore is white meat. The top loins are very lean. Bottom loins are pretty fatty but taste great. You do need to bleed them to get the best flesh.

JPK

LSB Active Member
The tuna bldsmith shows are true longfin albacore, the only tuna allowed to be labeled as "white" in the US.

We catch them hear of of MD most Octobers, but they don't get much further south, and I have never heard of them being caught off of NC, at least off of a sportfishing boat.

They are caught off of California too, and elsewhere along the Pacific coast.

Fat Alberts are called false albacore, and more properly, little tunny. They are actually not too bad on the grill if you trim off all the darker bloodline and use a spicy marinade. They make good strip baits and are good blue marlin baits bridles whole. Good cut up into chunks for mahi also.

False Albacore range the whole Atlantic coast down through Mexico and maybe further south. I believe they are limited to the Atlantic and Mediterranean. They are a fun fish to catch on fly tackle or light spinning tackle.

JPK

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The tuna bldsmith shows are true longfin albacore, the only tuna allowed to be labeled as "white" in the US.

We catch them hear of of MD most Octobers, but they don't get much further south, and I have never heard of them being caught off of NC, at least off of a sportfishing boat.

They are caught off of California too, and elsewhere along the Pacific coast.

Fat Alberts are called false albacore, and more properly, little tunny. They are actually not too bad on the grill if you trim off all the darker bloodline and use a spicy marinade. They make good strip baits and are good blue marlin baits bridles whole. Good cut up into chunks for mahi also.

False Albacore range the whole Atlantic coast down through Mexico and maybe further south. I believe they are limited to the Atlantic and Mediterranean. They are a fun fish to catch on fly tackle or light spinning tackle.

JPK

Way to,funny that has to be what the OBX fisherman called Alberts way fun to,catch trolling. I catching what I call in shore not in the Gulf Stream. GS at the point in where the shelf drops off to way deep. Yellow fin is what I Used to catch in the stream among Wahoo my favorite fish. Marlin both white and blue.

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The boy went out again with a good friend of his. Did not do as well this time but picked up a really nice fish for our area.
BIGFISH_zpsn4qeelsm.jpg

35lb Albi. The bottom one weighs 15lbs. Had to come back early due to weather and the fish are starting to scatter. Oh well that's fishin for ya.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How big do the tuna get in our waters?

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Albacore only run up to 35-40lbs in the eastern Pacific. That can run up to 100lbs over in the far western on the spawning grounds. We are the nursery for the younguns. I have not seen a 35lb fish, not that I have seen a lot of them. A 30 pound fish is really nice. Anything over is exceptional. Even the bluefin are small up here. A 50 is huge for our area.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to know that, thanks.