Night vision vs thermal

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What units will it be compatible with?

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
We are configuring them for a w-1000 at this time. It will have a picitany rail for any thermal that has a mount but the power cable and video out will be for the w-1000. At some point we will look at other connections. Also the remote is wireless and it will have wifi built in. The first 2 prototypes are close to being done.

-hd

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a chance to see the beginning of the pan tilt at Ident the other day. VERY similar to systems in use with DOD in Iraq and the Stan. Similar in concept and a great idea. Would hate to hear the price but really like the concept.

I have the new L3 xp320 and it is a big improvement on the 200. Have not had a chance to get out with it yet. Am not as tough as TLM and Alex. I like nicer weather. Once I get out with it I will do a short review here, Snipershide and 6.8 forums.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll be willing to bet that this one^^^ costs more than ours. LOL We are building one that will accept the thermal a customer already has

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
from what i can see, its so expensive you can't find a price.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
you should make it so the thermal can be held on by the 1/4-20 threaded hole that the MTM and L3 series thermal have on them (same thing camera tripods use). However, relying on only the 1/4-20 screw with hand torques use some sort of bungee system, zip ties, etc to stabilize/secure it from vibration. I know 1913 rails a much more resilient than 1/4-20 mounts, but just spit balling to try to make it adaptable to multiple thermal units. Larger adaptability can lead to larger markets and more sales.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
you should make it so the thermal can be held on by the 1/4-20 threaded hole that the MTM and L3 series thermal have on them (same thing camera tripods use). However, relying on only the 1/4-20 screw with hand torques use some sort of bungee system, zip ties, etc to stabilize/secure it from vibration. I know 1913 rails a much more resilient than 1/4-20 mounts, but just spit balling to try to make it adaptable to multiple thermal units. Larger adaptability can lead to larger markets and more sales.

Or make a QD mount that attaches to the thermal via a 1/4-20

-hd

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I milled a small 1913 rail with a 1/4-20 Hoke on the bottom. I screw it onto my tripod so I can attach a pvs14 to it using a DLOC pvs. This allows to to quickly and securely attach it to the tripod for recording purposes with an iPhone.

Maybe a similar mount could be made to attach to the thermal unit.

Most tripods come with quick attach plates that can remain screwed to the equipment so it can be quickly attached to the tripod.

My only concern is the screw slowly backing out because of vibrations from driving bumpy dirt roads.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Double nut it, or a lock washer and nylock. dedicated wrench affixed to the tripod if needed.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is a good idea RD, but I was thinking something that could be removed fairly easily so when the stalk starts you can remove it from the pan/tilt system to allow handheld use. Most people don't want to buy two thermals just because one is tied up on a pan/tilt system that takes too long to disconnect while the hogs are feeding away from you in the distance.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can a small section of pic rail be affixed to the tri-pod in such a manner and a QD set-up on the device then?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is what i have done with tripod. I use the DLOC pvs to hold a PVS 14 to a small piece of pic rail. However, the DLOC cannot be adapted to the L3 or MTM thermal units as it sits right now. Wish I had more time on our CNC mills and not stuck in a classroom teaching apprentice level stuff. I would have this adapted in no time.