NIGHT CONDITIONS FOR HOGS, WINDY, FULL MOON!

hans hessler

Alright my hog hunting heroes. A question about hunting conditions.
1. Extreme winds 20-30 mph.
2. Moon conditions.

Hunted in S. Okla this weekend, winds 20-30 mph daytime, and night as well.
Full moon at night. How will these conditions affect hogs. As a once Whitetail
bow hunter tree stand hunting, I learned that on a very windy day the Deer will
just find a low lying area and bed down because of the windy conditions. Does this
apply to hogs as well.
Additionally, this past weekend there was a full Moon. You could have read a novel
in the tree stand with all the light. Would that affect the movement behavior of the
hogs in any way.
Additionally, we tried some electronic calls, but in the wind they could not be heard
much over 100 yards :-(!
What has been your experience in the above conditions?

Hans Hessler

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep all that can or not affect hogs..they are very unpredictable, sorta like a woman!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I generally see less.
I believe it's because they see me.
But you can't shoot a hog from your living room so, get after it.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did you watch DJ's latest videos? I think he was hunting in a hurricane with a full moon. They still have to eat. You have to watch the direction you approach from carefully or they can smell you before you have a chance. Also, if you can see them, they can see you.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs gotta be somewhere and chances are they will be eating. The question is whether or not you will be where they are. The last two hogs I shot were on a windy night with a bright moon and I could read "Armasight" on the side of my scope.

The caller may not be able to be heard at more than 100 yards (your hearing, not the hog's), but I assure you it will be heard a long way down wind.

Full moon can be tough in open terrain. Actually, any bright moon is tough in open terrain. Hogs have no problem moving around on bright nights. So it is up to you to find good concealment.

Like Zen said, you can't hunt them from your living room, so get after it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have found areas that have high winds all the time like the panhandle of Texas or open plains the wind means nothing, but if you are in a area where high winds are not the norm then the hogs will not move as much. With high winds you are taking away their #1 defense sense of smell.

Also they seem to move significantly less on full moon nights. Back when I first started hunting them at night this was not the case, I preferred full moon nights because I could see better. But now with so many digital and cheap night vision's out there that only really work with a full moon they have learned not to move on full moon nights. With you being in Oklahoma and the limited allowed night hunting up there they may not have learned to hide on full moon nights yet.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can't speak for anywhere but where I hunt but like lawdawg says wind doesn't matter here. The windier the better. Even the moon phase doesn't matter here. They have to eat. I LOVE a dark windy night with the sand blowing. Second best is a moon lite night with the sand blowing. They have to be 20 ft down wind or closer even to smell you. The wind makes it hard to shoot because its blowing you around too but its worth it.

D

djones

yea we got several hogs last weekend in the high wind and bright moon. got close to a lot and had them come even closer after we got setup. i've seen anywhere from zero to a lot in all conditions. they are hungry every night, but usually decide for themselves where they go depending on hunting pressure or farming activity.

pigs have spotted me under all moon phases and i've gone unnoticed in all phases as well. i've worn all different types of clothes washed in all kinds of soap of all colors. i haven't figured them out, but i tend to not creep up as close as a lot of folks do. using an observation optic as you approach helps because you can see if they're looking away and when it's safe to approach.

hans hessler

I have found areas that have high winds all the time like the panhandle of Texas or open plains the wind means nothing, but if you are in a area where high winds are not the norm then the hogs will not move as much. With high winds you are taking away their #1 defense sense of smell.

Also they seem to move significantly less on full moon nights. Back when I first started hunting them at night this was not the case, I preferred full moon nights because I could see better. But now with so many digital and cheap night vision's out there that only really work with a full moon they have learned not to move on full moon nights. With you being in Oklahoma and the limited allowed night hunting up there they may not have learned to hide on full moon nights yet.
Todd:
Thanks for your reply. As a rookie hog hunter, I have visited your you tube videos
and have gotten some very good info from you. On you tube there are plenty
of videos slayin do piggies. What I'm looking for is useful info I can take away
from them to make me a more successful hunter. I find your videos informative
thanks for putting them together.

Hans