New Trijicon "REAP 2" line

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Trijicon’s Electro Optics Division Expands the REAP-IR® Thermal Riflescope Line
August 27, 2018 -
Wixom, Mich.
— Trijicon® Inc, manufacturer of Brilliant Aiming Solutions™, is pleased to introduce the latest additions to the REAP-IR family of thermal imaging systems. The new and improved REAP-IR models retain Trijicon’s leading image quality, ease of use, and durability while adding new, user friendly features.

Trijicon is now offering two additional magnification options with enhanced features to the 35mm effective focal length variants (2.5x base optical magnification). The REAP-IR will now be available in 60 mm EFL (4.5x base optical magnification) and 20 mm EFL (1.5x base optical magnification) models.

The new and improved variants and the existing REAP-IR configurations will be available for purchase. The new REAP-IR variants feature a simplified “Easy Zero Method” which makes sighting in the optic easier and more intuitive. Getting rounds on target is now a matter of aligning an on-screen digital icon with bullet impacts using provided MOA readouts.

Trijicon also updated the main housing to include an integrated picatinny rail interface for mounting optional accessories, such as a Trijicon RMR®. The battery compartment has been redesigned to a ruggedized, top-loading compartment with an easy-to-use thumbscrew to allow simpler night-time operation.

All Trijicon REAP-IR optics feature 640x480 resolution, 12 micron thermal sensors and 60 Hz frame rates. The REAP-IR family comes standard with five included reticle options, and six advanced polarity settings for exceptional visibility in any environment. Trijicon Electro Optics thermal scopes are engineered, machined and assembled in the United States and are tested to MIL-STD 810-G.

For more information on the REAP-IR and the complete array of Brilliant Aiming Solutions™ for the hunting, shooting, military and law enforcement markets, contact Trijicon®, Inc. at (248) 960-7700.

2018_REAP-IR-2_Family.jpg

Trijicon® Electro Optics | REAP-IR Mini Thermal Scope

MSRP

20mm $6,999
35mm $7,999
60mm $9,499

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They really need to design them with rechargeable battery packs...

Yes, but ONLY if there is a similar module that will go in place of the proprietary rechargeable battery pack that accepts normal batteries. Pulsar was supposed to do this for their Trail line, but instead have only produced the rechargeable batteries. They are proprietary. When the Trail line stops being produced, how much longer will those batteries be produced? Not long, if at all. A few years down the road when the proprietary battery had died, you are sort of screwed. You can run an external power supply, but you may have to do so with the battery removed and the whole thing looking rather goofy and the waterproof aspect being compromised.

Instead of rechargeable battery packs, it would be so much better if they took an already standard size rechargeable battery such as the 18650 or a couple of them. That may not be the best choice, but is used only as an example.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll have some of the first units available taking orders now. They have already shipped to me.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll have some of the first units available taking orders now. They have already shipped to me.
TLM -
Have you been successful getting Trijicon to listen/consider design change to auto nuc without user manually closing the objective lens cap??

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM -
Have you been successful getting Trijicon to listen/consider design change to auto nuc without user manually closing the objective lens cap??
Yes auto nuc, internal rechargeable long lasting battery pack, and internal recording would be awesome.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes the one thing IRD had right on my old FLIR cored MKI scope was the cap-less Nuc with the turn of the top knob. I miss it wish the following MK II,MKIII had that feature.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I'm gonna play "odd ball" ... while I dont mind companies making you guys what you want .. totally fine by me ... I like the trijicons "clean" and "simple" ...

I have 7 thermals now ... and the only one that isn't manual and only manual NUC is the pulsar ... and I can set it to be manual and when I'm using it I do. My neighbor, when he borrows it to go slay his rats, he sets it on auto.

Maybe it is just I've gotten used to manual. I like being in charge of when the NUCs happen ... I recall my olde Armasights, NUCing when they wanted to .. making shutter noise and running off the critters ... and freezing the image at bad times ... I don't like either of those symptoms. I don't even think about covering the lens to NUC ... it is muscle memory. I might be the lone member of the manual camp, but I'm in the manual camp.

As to the bells and whistles ... I do sort of miss being able to do videos ... I did quite a few when I had the armasights ... I even liked the olde orginal armasight DVRs because you could tell they were running or not from looking at the thermal display and the DVR was your backup battery supply. Those were neat. But the OASYS cores don't seem to do video too well. I do stills with them, but never got video to work. But I can certainly go out and do my critter control without the DVR.

As to the battery packs ... I use a battery pack on my head, the same one works with the ODIN and the PATROL. Unfortunately it doesn't work for the SKEET or the PAS-29/COTI. I don't like battery packs on the rifles ... and I don't mind changing the batteries ... With the Mk3 60mm some nights I can go all night without changing ... some nights I need one change. Doesn't bother me, I'm used to it. The Zeus Pro was the same 0-1 batt changes per night ... and I recall that one being tough to get the batt cover started ... but after 100 times ... I could do it easy ... just had to practice the sh^t out of it.

But the fancier they make the Trijicons, the more stuff on them to break and the more they will cost. That's why I like 'em clean and simple. But I wouldn't complain if they made some other versions with what you guys want, that's fine with me and long as I can still get a "plain Jane" :)

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I also like manual Nuc vs auto Nuc on a weapon sight for many reasons like you posted above. I just perfer the setup/core that allows you to manual Nuc without having to cover the lens every time it’s just faster and easier overall. Trust me the MK I scope I owned was sweet the way it Nuc (cap-less Nuc) and spoiled me to how the MK II and MK III could be :)

That all said I’m very trained to “close the cap” Nuc from years of using IRD/Trijicon thermals now not a huge deal.

I also hate extra battery packs on my rifle don’t like the extra weight or bulk added just perfer everything streamlined.

I have several Trijicon thermals, Pulsar thermals, armasight/Flir thermals right now. Trijicons are my overall favorites just seem to be one notch higher up than the others. That said the new Pulsars I would rate as the best value for th buck.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are 3 levels of NUCing, Manual, Semi-Auto, and Auto.

Manual = covering lens cap and initiating the NUC process (however many buttons and/or knobs that may require)
Semi-Auto = user initiating the NUC process where an internal shutter does the covering of the sensor for you.
Auto = Scope initiating the NUC process based on programming parameters, internal shutter covers the sensor.

Of the three, Manual and Auto are the two extremes I do not prefer. Manual is too much unnecessary work and Auto will NUC at times when you don't want to NUC. I like Semi-Auto, such as on the Pulsars and Armsights, where I can initiate the NUC when I think it is needed and not have to do anything more than pressing a singular button (Pulsar) or pair of buttons (Armasight). No need to manually manipulate the lens cap. No need to go through menu settings.

Ostensibly, IR Defense went with the fully manual form of NUCing to save on space and weight. Apparently, the little thermal core sensor with the shutter was just too big and heavy. :confused:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
When I had the Apollo std, the shutter was too noisey ... IIRC the Zeus Standard and Zeus Pro had manual options, which I would've selected. And the Q-14 was manual only. And like you say the Pulsars have manual option. So I've gone with manual.
Maybe the shutters are quieter in some thermals, but in the Apollo a deer within 25 yds would react to the shutter for sure. I've even got videos of it happening. YOu can see the nuc happening and see the deer react. So I became anti-shutter as well. No noise and no nucing when I don't want ... :)

None of the military thermals I've had auto nuc (or semi) ... I certainly haven't had them all !! But I've had several and have some now ... and they are all manual.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
You had a W1000?
Not I ... Apollo, several Zeuses ... Q-14 ... several pulsars .. still have one pulsar. Had several ird trijicons, now 2 ... have 2 BAE and one nivissys. Tested some others ... never had a W1000 ... Todd did ... when I first saw Todd posting on the Hide he had just gotten his W1000 ... I remember he posted a video .. he was sitting in a private road waiting on the pigs ... the sow and piglets showed up ... he shot the sow ... in the road ... I was hooked ... :)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM -
Doubt that is going to happen. I hated it at first now I'm used to it.