New to hog hunting

ORANGEHOUSE

I have been a target shooter but want to get into hog hunting. My experience is limited to spending one night in a blind north west of Fort Worth and seeing nothing. Poor start!

I'm looking for an experienced hunter to coach me a bit. I would love to come on a hunt with someone that knows what they're doing. Preferably someone mostly sane...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome. Yeah, good luck finding a sane hog hunter.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and yea....good luck with that...sane hog hunter...funny!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
welcome!! hey we are all a bit crazy!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, many of us are sane.

Wait...SANE stands for "Shoots At Night Exclusively", right?

Firsttimer

Hello everyone, I am a person that is interested in getting into hog hunting. My problem is not knowing what AR to get and if I do find one what is a good price

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmm.......

I think I'm sane.

Welcome to the group!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Firsttimer! Lots of great info here. You need to be more specific on the caliber you are looking at. A lot here shoot the 6.8SPC and love it. Some not so much. There is no magic caliber as shot placement rules. Usually the bigger/faster the more bang/flops but it depends on what kind of hunting you are going to be doing, either stalking or shooting out of a stand.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. The 223/556 is cheap to shoot and many of them out there to pick from. Worked for most of us and still does for some. Many have gone up a size to the 6.8 or a 6.5 for more bang. You can get a 458 socom also if you want to hurt stuff . There are a bunch a variants to choose from.

Andrew Wallace

LSB Member
Welcome Orangehouse and Firsttimer. I am sure y'all will be up and running in no time.