New To Hog Hunting

GN Benefield

Learned to hunt in Arizona - quail and javelina. Used a Savage .22/.410 OU until fifth grade. Traded for Carl Gustav 6.55x55; the gun shop owner said it would be better for the little pigs. Going hog hunting for the first time since in 2 weeks.
  • Uncertain as to what to take. 45-70 Marlin, Rem 700 308 with scope, or my old 1917 Carl Gustav. Thanks for all of the info here. Appreciative. Wonder which loads to use. Going to Oklahoma.
  • Open sights or scope?
  • Looking at some of the comments - perhaps I should take my M1A1 and expect them to attack at will.
Help, ideas, ridicule are welcome. And yes, the 410 slug did work on the little pigs.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

It is hard to know what to suggest until you tell us more about your hunting situation. "Oklahoma" is a bit too vague of a description to tell us much. You shooting long range or short range? Day or night? (OK still has tougher night laws, I do believe).

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Ignore a guy named DJ on this site. He was an unknowing CIA LSD test subject a while back and still isn't right in the head.

Start off using whatever you're most comfortable with using. There are no rules as to what equipment you have to use. I believe bigger is better, but thousands of hogs have been killed with a .223.

If DJ tries to sell you his gun for cheap, don't buy it!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome, and as Brian said more details about how your going to be hunting is important.

D

djones

don't listen to scram. there's a village somewhere missing an idiot. everyone knows you can't kill a hog with a 223

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
going to be spot and stalk or stand hunting?? What can you get the fastest followup shots with?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Going for first time, I'm taking the 308 Remmy 700. Get a kill then think about other options later, my .02$

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can't go wrong with the .308. May be a lot of gun to carry though depending on how your hunting.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jhop...don't shoot them pet pigs in the garden

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The pigs were coming through hole in a fence out into a cut Milo field. I shot the lone boar at 280 yards. However he made it back through the hole under the fence.

Jason

Most hogs I've killed have been with a .223 but I always tell myself to shoot them in the head. Ive killed them with 55 grain Wichester power point. I've dropped a few but they were head shots. I hit one hog in the neck at about 40 yards and he dropped but got back up and I hit him again and he dropped. I have a .308 AR and from my experience it hits so much harder. Hogs will take some .223's and keep going but it's all about shot placement. I've only killed 1 hog with that .308 and he dropped. For me the only reason why I use the .223 is cause I have a thermal scope on it. Which I share with my dad and he likes the light recoil of the .223.