New to hog hunting

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Hey everybody,

My name is Alex and I am from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. So we have hogs way up north where I am, not as populated as Texas or other states but they are here. The Alberta government has a $50 bounty on hogs right now and I would like to get into making some cash. Not many people claim these bounties per year so for me it's open season.

I have tried hunting them before stalking Creek sides in the summer time, and have seen a couple scatter (mainly because I was upwind of them at the time). I need some tips that would help me out here. Since hogs are a pest I can hunt then year round (if I'm brave enough to do it in the winter) but there are a few regulations I do have to follow:

- I can't hunt at night do to Alberta hunting regulations, and any discharge of a firearm at night is considered unsafe use of a firearm and could have my firearms and license confiscated by the RCMP
- Semi-autos must have the mag's pinned to 5 rounds, with the M1 Garand as the only exception, and no ARs as they classed a restricted rifle for only use at the range or competitions
- Handguns are restricted as well

Firearms I use are a 30.06 bolt action rifle and a 12 guage shotgun. I'm looking into purchasing an SKS or a Chinese M1a (Norinco M305) after I shot a few hogs. Does this seem like a good idea or should I stick with the bolt action.

Any tips that would help me bag these suckers would greatly be appreciated.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

If you bait with a feeder, bait only in the morning time so that there is little or no food left at night for the hogs. They will figure out the feeder is running in the day time.

Locate areas they frequent such as water holes or trails and watch those areas.

Play the wind to your advantage.

Don't take desperation shots. If you can't kill the hog, you are apt to educate it and the ones with it and come away with nothing and they will be that much more wary in the future.

Being elevated beats being on the ground in regard to smell.

Hogs see better than most people think. Since you are daytime hunting, do not underestimate this.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

First tip - ignore a guy name DJ. He definitely knows how to kill hogs, but he has more than a few loose screws.

Bolt actions will do the jog as far as killing hogs. Can't get off follow-up shots as quickly as you could with an AR, but since your limited in your options, you'll have to make do. A 12 guage with 00 buck works well at closer ranges.

Around here, hogs are pretty active at sunrise and sundown. Again, since you are limited in your hunting hours, you'll have to make do.

Is it legal to bait for hogs? Many of us bait or use feeders to attract hogs. Hogs will travel good distances, so anything you can do to keep them in a particular area will help.

Is it open or wooded where you hunt?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!! The SKS would be a great addition too! I have had plenty of luck at Sunrise, but be in your are before then don't just walk in right at that time. If baiting is legal put out some stink bait 1-2 hr prior to sunrise and get set up to wait with the wind in your favor

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Like Brian said, look for the spots where there has already been activity, and if your able to set up a corn feeder target those areas. Also keep in mind average wind direction in reference to the placement of a stand. As mentioned elevated is better. An SKS is a good gun, make sure to use quality ammo. Hornady makes a great 7 .62 steel cased round.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Slim I used the Hornady 123SST (steel cased)in my 7.62x39, it is a deadly rd and perfect in an SKS

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Is it legal to bait for hogs? Many of us bait or use feeders to attract hogs. Hogs will travel good distances, so anything you can do to keep them in a particular area will help.

Is it open or wooded where you hunt?

Yes it is legal to bait them as they are not a protected species with a bounty under the wildlife act, like coyotes and wolves. I have seen the feeders being built on this site before and I am interested in making one. Now I have only seen corn being used in the feeder, is it the only bait that can be used or are there some others? FrankT mentioned "Stick Bait". Is that bait itself or is that an attractive scent to put on the bait?

Most of the open fields are privately owned and to hunt them I do need written permission from the land owner. Even if the animal is just over the fence on someone else's property I need legal permission from that owner just to shoot the darn thing. Majority of the landowners are not signing the permission statements because of the amount of reckless hunters and possible damage to their property or livestock. Unless you know them and they know you, you are not getting a signed statement. Right now the plan is to stick to the un-owned wooded areas or "Crown land" to build a reputation within each county and possibly meet land owners who want these pests taken out. I will be sticking to the creek beds and ponds in these areas when the heat gets around 77F+ to try catching them cooling off. By the way, what is a usual temp for hogs to feel overheated and need methods to cool themselves off?

Thanks everybody for the welcome and I appreciate the tips.

Cheers

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes it is legal to bait them as they are not a protected species with a bounty under the wildlife act, like coyotes and wolves. I have seen the feeders being built on this site before and I am interested in making one. Now I have only seen corn being used in the feeder, is it the only bait that can be used or are there some others? FrankT mentioned "Stick Bait". Is that bait itself or is that an attractive scent to put on the bait?

Most of the open fields are privately owned and to hunt them I do need written permission from the land owner. Even if the animal is just over the fence on someone else's property I need legal permission from that owner just to shoot the darn thing. Majority of the landowners are not signing the permission statements because of the amount of reckless hunters and possible damage to their property or livestock. Unless you know them and they know you, you are not getting a signed statement. Right now the plan is to stick to the un-owned wooded areas or "Crown land" to build a reputation within each county and possibly meet land owners who want these pests taken out. I will be sticking to the creek beds and ponds in these areas when the heat gets around 77F+ to try catching them cooling off. By the way, what is a usual temp for hogs to feel overheated and need methods to cool themselves off?

Thanks everybody for the welcome and I appreciate the tips.

Cheers

Lots of people use corn since it is relatively inexpensive and easily found. I don't put any food scraps into my septic field - I put everything in a bucket to take to the woods. Hogs will eat just about anything, including dead hogs. The worse it smells, the better. Sour corn works well.

I'm not sure of an exact temperature for hog overheating. Hogs don't have sweat glands, so they cannot get too far from shade or mud/water. The cooler it is, the more likely they are to move during the day IMO.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sorry meant STINK bait, soured corn...15-25lbs of corn in a 5 gallon pail about 1/2 way filled w corn, add a yeast pkg and dry koolaide mix maybe some sugar, add water to the top, cover and leave in the sun for 2 weeks or longer. DO not taste...lol

if you don't have the time use sticky catfish bait, stinky cat food, spoiled fruit, whatever you can find

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
sorry meant STINK bait, soured corn...15-25lbs of corn in a 5 gallon pail about 1/2 way filled w corn, add a yeast pkg and dry koolaide mix maybe some sugar, add water to the top, cover and leave in the sun for 2 weeks or longer. DO not taste...lol

if you don't have the time use sticky catfish bait, stinky cat food, spoiled fruit, whatever you can find

Sorry, I typed it wrong. You originally did say Stink bait.

Cat Food? Seriously? Wet or dry? And you mix that in with the corn or in its own?

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Lots of people use corn since it is relatively inexpensive and easily found. I don't put any food scraps into my septic field - I put everything in a bucket to take to the woods. Hogs will eat just about anything, including dead hogs. The worse it smells, the better. Sour corn works well.

I'm not sure of an exact temperature for hog overheating. Hogs don't have sweat glands, so they cannot get too far from shade or mud/water. The cooler it is, the more likely they are to move during the day IMO.

So your saying they are more likely to be roaming around the bush when it's cooler. Makes sense. Would there be a difference between humid and dry weather? Were I am it's dry all the time even in the winter, which makes awesome champange powder for snowmobiling and snowboarding.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes I mix the dry cat and dog food w the corn If I don't have the corn soured yet I sling around some of the large cans of cheap and stinky canned dog and cat food where I want them to show up. Hogs love the wet, it is the only way they can cool down unless it is cold out.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray. For closer range shooting, I'd be quite content with an SKS. I've got a pair of them, and they're good for 1"-1.5" groupings at 100 yds. I'd have to agree on the Hornady SST ammo in that caliber. No personal experience using it on hogs... but, it has a good reputation for being effective on cleanly killing game.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So your saying they are more likely to be roaming around the bush when it's cooler. Makes sense. Would there be a difference between humid and dry weather? Were I am it's dry all the time even in the winter, which makes awesome champange powder for snowmobiling and snowboarding.

I don't have experience with hogs in dry weather. I live in South Carolina and it's always humid. The warmer it gets, the less they move.

Try whatever you can find to attract hogs. Dry corn, sour corn, sweet feed, table scraps, etc. they have voracious appetites, so they'll eat just about anything.

You can also make rubbing posts for the hogs, though you may not want to/be able to on public land. Take an motor oil soaked rag and wrap it around the bottom of a tree. They will rub on the oil for their skin.

Some people pour diesel on corn, but again, not sure if you can or want to.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

D

djones

howdy canada... and congrats!! you may be the first member to actually listen AND respond to scrambler.

might also put up a game camera over the bait to see what's coming in and when

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A tube feeder is easy to make, but has to be checked often and refilled to keep them coming back. A 55 gallon drum feeder is the biggest bang for the buck, you can order them online. I've only heard of people using corn in that type of feeder, however one guy said he used very small pellet dry dog food for coyotes. I'm sure hogs would eat dog food too. Soured corn works great until they figure out your putting it out to shoot at them.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
You can also make rubbing posts for the hogs, though you may not want to/be able to on public land. Take an motor oil soaked rag and wrap it around the bottom of a tree. They will rub on the oil for their skin.

Ok. From what I understand when you see rub marks on trees it determines their cutline. Is this info correct? Would I be able to make a bunch of these man-made posts to create a cutline of where I want them to go for an ambush? Or should I use this idea to have one post standing in an open area? And last, just motor oil or can a gear oil or grease be used?

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes. Kind of like the lines that flood waters leave on trees.

I wouldn't put too many in one area. The fewer areas you have to monitor the better. Hogs will wander all over the place so having 2 spots within a few hundred yards of each other increases the likelihood that you will miss them.

One of the mistakes I made when I first started hog hunting was putting out too many bait piles. I spent more time going back and forth between spots than actually sitting and watching/waiting.

I try to put natural barriers between bait piles. I'll put one on each side of a small river, or on both sides of a swamp. Once you establish baiting spots, the hogs will remember them and go back to them. Maybe not as predictably as we would want, but they will go back.

Look for water sources. Hogs don't have sweat glands and cannot get too far from water. You won't see any hogs if you put a bait pile 3 miles from the nearest water hole.