New thermal

Mulekicker1919

I would like to know if there is a battery alternative for the pulsar apex xq38. I know there are packs to buy from pulsar, but thought there maybe a phone charger or something like that may work.

Last edited:

Mulekicker1919

What are you trying to accomplish? I have a Pulsar trail.
I’m about to buy a apex and wanted to get extra battery life. I don’t think I could get what I need without a external battery pack. Just was hoping there was something cheaper to use besides the $150 battery pack from pulsar.

Randy

Iowa
I bought a Pulsar Apex XQ38 within last few months. I absolutely love it. I bought Pulsar based on general trend of forum member’s comments about favorable Pulsar customer service.

Regarding battery pack, I bought Pulsar because after spending the money for Pulsar thermal why risk not buying a Pulsar battery pack in case something happened.

I had problems with the battery pack - called Sellmark and they replaced battery pack immediately. People’s comments on Pulsar Customer Service were spot on.

High tech stuff will need service and Pulsar has scored 100 percent with me.

Mulekicker1919

I bought a Pulsar Apex XQ38 within last few months. I absolutely love it. I bought Pulsar based on general trend of forum member’s comments about favorable Pulsar customer service.

Regarding battery pack, I bought Pulsar because after spending the money for Pulsar thermal why risk not buying a Pulsar battery pack in case something happened.

I had problems with the battery pack - called Sellmark and they replaced battery pack immediately. People’s comments on Pulsar Customer Service were spot on.

High tech stuff will need service and Pulsar has scored 100 percent with me.
I’m glad to hear the pulsar is working out for you. I agree with regards to battery pack why take a chance. I have went back and forth on which is best bang for the buck with my budget. I hope to receive mine by end of this month. Any advice on do and don’t s regarding setup etc is welcomed. Thanks

Randy

Iowa
I am 62 and technology challenged so if I can get proficient using the thermal so can you!

I watched the Pulsar YouTube Videos (allot) that explained the menu options before the thermal unit arrived, which really helped.

The question I got answered the other day on the forum was to keep the display on rather than pressing the “turn display off” button, which causes the unit to shut down for a long time (at least my unit anyway).

Finally, just get outside and use it. When the time comes to zero, use hand warmers and enjoy the experience!

I introduced the thermal to my 31 year old nephew on Wednesday and he went from never seeing a unit before to being zeroed in 30 minutes.

So to summarize my suggestions, 1) watch Pulsar YouTube menu videos, 2) keep display on and 3) use it.

Wife is using unit to track rabbits eating out flowers coming up. We are thinking how to shoot flower eating rabbits in town at night in subdivision with pellet gun. We are thinking using night vision and DBAL3 green lazer to light the criminal bunnies up and the other person shoot the pellet gun at green lazer! What fun entertainment!

Enjoy your new unit and practice, practice, practice!

Best regards, Randy

jglass

LSB Member
I’m about to buy a apex and wanted to get extra battery life. I don’t think I could get what I need without a external battery pack. Just was hoping there was something cheaper to use besides the $150 battery pack from pulsar.

I purchased a spare battery, extra large, and used it one time only because the small battery was dead and I wanted to download pictures to my laptop. I used the spare battery just to get the scope going.

Here is my experience with the small battery that came with my QX38 Pulsar scope. I was in Florida for over 3 months and went wild hog almost every night, that's a lot of trips. Each hog hunt was a 3 1/2 hour outing. The scope was "ON" most of the time but I turned OFF the monitor unless I was looking through the scope. The small battery would run for 3 hog hunt outings and still had some charge but after the third outing would charge the battery anyway. I never took the spare battery on a hog hunt and never needed it.

Your application may vary. Don't worry about spare batteries unless you really need one. Rechargeable batteries have improved in the last 10 years. Much better than the old Ni-Cad batteries.

Last edited:

Mulekicker1919

I purchased a spare battery, extra large, and used it one time only because the small battery was dead and I wanted to download pictures to my laptop. I used the spare battery just to get the scope going.

Here is my experience with the small battery that came with my QX38 Pulsar scope. I was in Florida for over 3 months and went wild hog almost every night, that's a lot of trips. Each hog hunt was a 3 1/2 hour outing. The scope was "ON" most of the time but I turned OFF the monitor unless I was looking through the scope. The small battery would run for 3 hog hunt outings and still had some charge but after the third outing would charge the battery anyway. I never took the spare battery on a hog hunt and never needed it.

Your application may vary. Don't worry about spare batteries unless you really need one. Rechargeable batteries have improved in the last 10 years. Much better than the old Ni-Cad batteries.
Thanks for the information

Mulekicker1919

I am 62 and technology challenged so if I can get proficient using the thermal so can you!

I watched the Pulsar YouTube Videos (allot) that explained the menu options before the thermal unit arrived, which really helped.

The question I got answered the other day on the forum was to keep the display on rather than pressing the “turn display off” button, which causes the unit to shut down for a long time (at least my unit anyway).

Finally, just get outside and use it. When the time comes to zero, use hand warmers and enjoy the experience!

I introduced the thermal to my 31 year old nephew on Wednesday and he went from never seeing a unit before to being zeroed in 30 minutes.

So to summarize my suggestions, 1) watch Pulsar YouTube menu videos, 2) keep display on and 3) use it.

Wife is using unit to track rabbits eating out flowers coming up. We are thinking how to shoot flower eating rabbits in town at night in subdivision with pellet gun. We are thinking using night vision and DBAL3 green lazer to light the criminal bunnies up and the other person shoot the pellet gun at green lazer! What fun entertainment!

Enjoy your new unit and practice, practice, practice!

Best regards, Randy
Thanks

ScottJ

LSB Member
For the Apex, it's very easy to make your own batteries cheap. I made mine for about $5 each. Three 18650 cells in series, connected with regular tabs. Attached to that is a 5.5mm x 2.1mm male plug. Those are cheap to buy on Ebay with a 6" or so lead already attached. I used E6000 glue to glue the cells together on a flat surface. Then heat shrink and silicone to seal it. I used hd velcro to attach to the scope. It plugs right into the Pulsar cable and easily lasts all night. I made at least 6 packs but have only had to swap out packs once, after not charging the first from the night before. For a charger, I just got a cheap 12.6V power supply with 5.5x2.1 plug already on it from ebay. Another mod I did was remove the knob on the right side of the scope. It was always getting accidentally pushed and turned. I put a small piece of rubber vacuum hose on the metal stub. Then I hollowed out a Gatorade cap to make a raised ring. I glued that on around the knob stub. It prevents it from getting accidentally pushed but I can still use my fingers for it.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why not just upgrade to the trail xq38 for $300 extra? After having used multiple thermals with external battery packs and external dvrs, the added bulk and wires hanging off the gun aren't worth saving $300 with repetitive use. Not to mention the other features that the trail line has that the apex line doesn't.

Mulekicker1919

Why not just upgrade to the trail xq38 for $300 extra? After having used multiple thermals with external battery packs and external dvrs, the added bulk and wires hanging off the gun aren't worth saving $300 with repetitive use. Not to mention the other features that the trail line has that the apex line doesn't.
I would like to have gotten the trail, but the apex was 2499 compared to the trail for 3200.