New Thermal

so1ocam

Looking at getting into thermal for coyote hunting this spring. I’m thinking about getting a dedicated scanner that could be mounted to a helmet similar to a pvs14. Also looking into a dedicated scope like the MK3 60mm. Probably putting the cart before the horse, but I’m saving for the MK3 first. Anyone know when they are going to release the Armasight 12um cores I’ve been reading about? Am I better off waiting? $9k is a lot of money, but I figured might as well do it right. Can anyone recommend a good scanner?

Wayne

LSB Member
Looking at getting into thermal for coyote hunting this spring. I’m thinking about getting a dedicated scanner that could be mounted to a helmet similar to a pvs14. Also looking into a dedicated scope like the MK3 60mm. Probably putting the cart before the horse, but I’m saving for the MK3 first. Anyone know when they are going to release the Armasight 12um cores I’ve been reading about? Am I better off waiting? $9k is a lot of money, but I figured might as well do it right. Can anyone recommend a good scanner?
Pulsar XP 38..a little heavy but great image and lots of features

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Here is setup I used this weekend.

Mk3 60mm for long distance scanning ..

Patrol and pvs-14 for long distance detection and intermediate to short range scanning. Pvs-14 for navigation.

ETEYTHMh.jpg

Metzger

I am looking to make the same decision within the next week.

Marine24

How would the Armasight Zeus 3-24x75mm 640 stack up? I like the 3x power on the native resolution, although doubt the top end would be particularly useful.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How would the Armasight Zeus 3-24x75mm 640 stack up? I like the 3x power on the native resolution, although doubt the top end would be particularly useful.

Brian S. here owns both. I have a zeus and have recently used a 60mm mk3. Is it a better image, yes. Is it $3500 or whatever better....in my opinion no.

Marine24

Appreciate the insight. Bouncing between it and the Pulsar XP50. Prefer the 3x magnification on the Armasight over the 1.6X magnification on the Pulsar and the larger objective is a plus.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've had both the Armasight 75mm 3x 640(30) and the Pro 100mm 4x 640(60) ... and the 75mm was the best Armasight image I've seen. I could see and hit (near) a single handwarmer at 500yds. My Pro did not have as good an image. Per Armasight because of the 60hz.

The pulsar image shows the terrain better IMHO, but the Zeus detects the critters better ... at least that was my experience. With sufficient adjustments of brightness and contrast, the images could be brought pretty close together ... but my theory is still that the FLIR cores (in the Armasights) are trying to "pop" out the critters (the hot spots).

==
Welcome Marine24 !!! :)

Marine24

Thanks Wig. Obviously we are trading posts across a couple of forums but always appreciate the good advice.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
All these thermals you are thinking about will get the job done. But also keep in mind aspects other than "best image". For one thing, "best image" is not strictly a linear beast. All thermals degrade considerably as thermal conditions worsen. Mostly "water in the air" degrades the image. And like in "heavy mist" you are looking at the critters, which still stand out, in a sea of grey and may not be able to see any terrain beyond 80 yards. This also happens during or after a lot of rain or during or after icing conditions, etc.
Re-stated the "good image" thermals, like the oasys cores, are real good in good conditions, but no better than average to poor thermals in poor conditions. I've never had a thermal that could see terrain beyond about 80yds in heavy mist. Whether it cost $3k or over $10k. Whether it was 100mm or 10mm.

But there are other aspects such as support, that are important. I had solid experience with Armasight CS before the merger, none after. I got worried and sold my three Armasight thermals. That has nothing to do with the quality of the units, just fear, uncertainty and doubt about whether I can get them fixed if they break.
IRD/TEO CS have been great for me. Last time i sent my mk3 in, they sent me back a new unit. I've never sent in a pulsar.
And some people place more importance on warranty than others. So figure out where you stand on that. This would come into play more if you went down the used thermal route.

Ergo nomics, changing batteries, DVR, etc. The TEOs are weak in the visual capability, the armasights were strong. I have done very little video with the pulsars and never got it to work with the TEOs. I did a lot with the armasights. The TEO batteries last a whole night (12 hours) for me. I do use usb packs for helmet mounted thermals. The Trails are trying hard to improve the dvr and battery aspects.

In theory the pulsars have some integrated range finder units. I've never been able to get one. But those could help determine distances quickly, which might be useful depending on the cartridge and the terrain.