New thermal scope owner

Discussion in 'Night Vision/Thermal' started by NYCHOGKILLER, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NYCHOGKILLER

NYCHOGKILLER LSB Member

CAB45D8E-19A0-45F6-BDED-25A2F4FD3D77.jpeg My Christmas gift to myself. Can’t wait to use it next month... nobody has these up here in New York. The coyotes won’t know what hit them. Special thanks to Cliff at Third Coast Thermal for helping me to make this happen! PULSAR TRAIL XQ30. #slay

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Rookie

Rookie LSB Member

Get ready to have some fun! I switched from red light to thermal this year - it's almost cheating.

NYCHOGKILLER likes this.
  3. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Looks like fun times!

4. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Congrats! Did it come with the new pulsar mount or the original? The original doesn't hold zero well, and doesn't return to zero which makes the feature of being able to zero the scope to 3 different guns pointless FYI. I can't vouch for the new pulsar mount but I believe Todd did a review video and a couple others on here have the new mount. I can vouch for the UNV Dloc mount for it though. It's pricier, but is also lightweight, quick, easy to use in the dark (if u want your optic to double as a scanner and a scope) and reliably and consistently returns to zero.

NYCHOGKILLER likes this.
  5. jglass

jglass LSB Member

I have an XQ38 trail. I love it. I killed 4 hogs in November with it. Not sure about holding zero. I left Florida in early December and returned to the Chicago area for Christmas. Went to the gun range twice and zero'd the scope in at 50 and 100 yards. I'll check to see if it held zero after the 1200 mile ride in the car and the temperature changes. I have a special case for the rifle but we shall see. I'll bore sight so see if I'm in the ball park.

Bore sight jig I made:
    [​IMG]

6. NYCHOGKILLER

NYCHOGKILLER LSB Member

I’ll ask Cliff... not sure the difference between the old and new... the UNV is $249 right?

7. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I believe so. Maybe $300. Good luck either way. Neither mine or my brother in laws trail xq50 held zero for a sustainable period of time with the original mount.

8. Whosure

Whosure LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Sahweet scope, let me know how it works for ya. I am in the market for one in the future.

NYCHOGKILLER likes this.
  9. jglass

jglass LSB Member

My original Pulsar mount did not hold zero. It was off 2" H on elevation and 2" off L on windage at 50 yards, bore sighting. But it was a long 1200 ride from Illinois to Florida. I made a wooden case for the AR so nothing touched the Pulsar scope. I'll do a test firing to be sure. I don't understand the problem with the mounting, looks solid to me.

10. NYCHOGKILLER

NYCHOGKILLER LSB Member

BigRedDog