New Pulsar mount vs UNV DLOC

whitehotmist

LSB Member
So looks like the new pulsar mount is ~$120.. and the UNV DLOC is solid gold but painted black at $250... Anyone tried both and think the UNV is worth the extra $$.. It will figure into my buying decision for a thermal. Thanks!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't speak for the Pulsar mount but I can tell you that the D-loc is a high quality mount with no POI shift. If you never plan on taking the unit off on a regular basis then most any mount will work. If you plan on moving it to different rifles then I'd go with the D-loc

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't speak for the Pulsar mount but I can tell you that the D-loc is a high quality mount with no POI shift. If you never plan on taking the unit off on a regular basis then most any mount will work. If you plan on moving it to different rifles then I'd go with the D-loc
exactly what he said. I have used a d-lock for a long time and it has always been great. Probably on and off weapons 30/40 times and no problems. No info re Pulsar

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawman tested and has a video on the Pulsar unit

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So looks like the new pulsar mount is ~$120.. and the UNV DLOC is solid gold but painted black at $250... Anyone tried both and think the UNV is worth the extra $$.. It will figure into my buying decision for a thermal. Thanks!

Re-mounted RXQ30V with new pulsar mount today... simple - had to tighten about 10 "clicks" on the adjustment nut for a good tight mount. Sighted in, removed unit and re-attached, and zero was held.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Re-mounted RXQ30V with new pulsar mount today... simple - had to tighten about 10 "clicks" on the adjustment nut for a good tight mount. Sighted in, removed unit and re-attached, and zero was held.
I did this with the original mount and it held the first time I went to the range. (Used loctite attaching mount to scope). Then I let a couple different people borrow it on hunts and both said they throught zero was off. I went back to the range and it was about 6" right and 8" high at 100 yds. Apparently after several rounds and removing and return the mount the locking levers get loose and don't return to zero.
I now have the Dloc bc I KNOW it works.

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did this with the original mount and it held the first time I went to the range. (Used loctite attaching mount to scope). Then I let a couple different people borrow it on hunts and both said they throught zero was off. I went back to the range and it was about 6" right and 8" high at 100 yds. Apparently after several rounds and removing and return the mount the locking levers get loose and don't return to zero.
I now have the Dloc bc I KNOW it works.

Great! Did you try tightening the locking levers to see if it returned to zero? Were the X & Y values unchanged?

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great! Did you try tightening the locking levers to see if it returned to zero? Were the X & Y values unchanged?
Yes I did tighten locking levers. X and Y were not changed.
As they come loose, you lose your zero and groups open up I assume. And when u retighten them the POI shifts I assume. ? Not sure but that mount definitely does not return to zero consistently, especially after removing the scope and returning it to the same rail slots multiple times. My brother in law had the same issue with his trail xq50.

jglass

LSB Member
I didn't like the cam lock clamps so I made my own.

Below is the old and the new:

Clamp before black oxide:

Screws and screw driver: