New POF 5.56 SBR

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took the new upper to range today to sight in the ACOG. Need a laser to bore sight. Was way fun to shoot.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice looking!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No need for a laser to boresight. Pull the bcg out of the upper, place it in a solid rest, look down the bore and center it on the bullseye. Your eye will naturally align with the bore much like it does a peep sight.

Once the bore is centered on the bullseye look through the sight without moving the upper and see where the reticle is compared to the bore. If the reticle is high and right you will need to turn the elevation/windage knobs in the opposite direction as normal. So, for a high and right reticle you will need to turn the elevation knob in the up direction. Then turn the windage knob in the direction for a right movement.

If I am sighting the rifle in at 50 yards I will do this with a 50 yard target. I normally start with the sight 1-2 inches above whatever the bore is centered on. This should cause your first shots to go a little low. My thinking is of it is too low you will at least see it hit the dirt instead of missing the burn and not having a clue. However, I haven't ever had one start that low.

This can be done with any rifle that the bolt can be removed and the bore sighted through. Good luck. Its really easy.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Alex that is way simple. I spent close to an hour getting my ACOG right and that was at 33m or 36 yds to get right. We went out to 100 yds did not shot because I had a bolt release problem. I came home and put the calipers on the round and it was just a tad to,wide at base. The resizing die was not going all the way down so it got stuck. Shot 50 rds all ok just one stuck used a wide blade screw driver to get bolt to rotate. Thanks so much for the info. Sure will save me ammo. If I have a problem with a weapon my thing is to put down and figure what is wrong when I get home

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alex description is right on. If you bore site it and then shoot it at 36 meters or yards, really makes no difference, it will be about either an unch hi or low out to 200 yards. In most cases after doing the eye ball through the barrel it takes only about 3 to 5 shots to be right there; the secret is a very secure rest that does not move as you are making your adjustments. Works much easier if you have a buddy hold the weapon as you look through the bore and scope and he makes the adjustments. Just easier and quicker.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had to send my wife's 552 eotech in for repair. I just got it back and mounted it on her rifle. While I was in the living room I did this procedure at a distance of about 18 feet. When I did it I left the eotech dot about 2.5" higher than the bore of the barrel. The next day I went to a property where I can sight things in and shot it at 50 yards. it was about 8" high. I made my adjustments and the next shot was 1.5" high. I made one more adjustment, then shot, and was dead on. No windage adjustment needed, just elevation. 3 shots and I was hitting bullseyes. It doesn't get much quicker or low tech than this. I had a rifle sighted in in three shots (I shot more to confirm and have a little fun) and was back on the road to pick up my Papa Johns carryout pizza and the wife didn't have a clue I did any of it.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always good to learn new stuff! I am thinking I need to go to the dark side and talk to you about PVS14 for 6.8............. Will talk soon to get questions answered

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had to send my wife's 552 eotech in for repair. I just got it back and mounted it on her rifle. While I was in the living room I did this procedure at a distance of about 18 feet. When I did it I left the eotech dot about 2.5" higher than the bore of the barrel. The next day I went to a property where I can sight things in and shot it at 50 yards. it was about 8" high. I made my adjustments and the next shot was 1.5" high. I made one more adjustment, then shot, and was dead on. No windage adjustment needed, just elevation. 3 shots and I was hitting bullseyes. It doesn't get much quicker or low tech than this. I had a rifle sighted in in three shots (I shot more to confirm and have a little fun) and was back on the road to pick up my Papa Johns carryout pizza and the wife didn't have a clue I did any of it.
Do you put in vice or lead sled to keep steady?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a cheap Caldwell rifle rest I use for cleaning and sighting in. You could even use sandbags. It doesn't have to be rock solid to get you within 6-8" to start the process.

If I was dialing in something like a 308 or larger bolt gun I would opt for a more solid setup. But, for a carbine used for 300 yrds or less this works fine.

Remember, I'm talking minute of pig not benchrest accuracy.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used my caldwell lead sled to sight in my 458 socom and my 338 win mag. It worked out great