New member - Rifle advice

ptysonjr

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
New member here from Melissa, TX.
So i have a nicely set up rock river ar in .308 and just received a new trail xp38. Considering buying another rifle but an ar 15 that is lighter, more upper options and better for faster follow-up shots. Will also be buying an IR scope. This way i will have a backup weapon at all times and can use thermal or IR. I also have a daniel defense in .223 but they dont offer much in uppers. Im not sure if I can use others manufacturers uppers on it or not but pretty confident i can. If I can they even better.

My real question which caliber is best for 50 to 300 yard shots and either in a good ar rifle or upper i can use with Daniel Def.? If you have an opinion on these can you express the good or bad reason for or against.
1. 6.8 spc
2. 6.5 grendel
3. .224 valkerye
4. Something else
I want the best all around hog hunting pair of rifles I can get and I know with having a .308 I have half the pair I need and I will have the optics covered for either one.

Thanks in advance!

LSB Active Member
I know I'm in the minority here, but as a new 7.62x39 convert I'm in love with it due to cost of operation(ammo). I hunted with Myron Morrow and his 6.8 that is SUCH a sweet rig, but dang expensive(for me)to shoot b/c I don't have time to reload. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those listed, but just for kicks while you investigate the calibers might want to add the AK round to that mix. I've shot 6 hogs in 7 days with it all hammered.

Have fun shopping!

ptysonjr

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know I'm in the minority here, but as a new 7.62x39 convert I'm in love with it due to cost of operation(ammo). I hunted with Myron Morrow and his 6.8 that is SUCH a sweet rig, but dang expensive(for me)to shoot b/c I don't have time to reload. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those listed, but just for kicks while you investigate the calibers might want to add the AK round to that mix. I've shot 6 hogs in 7 days with it all hammered.

Have fun shopping!
437 thanks for reply and great info. Correct me ifni am wrong but isn't the 7.62 x 39 so close to the .308 that I would not notice a difference in weapon weight or rapid ability for follow-up shots? That's is my real target here. Find the other half of my 2 weapon arsenal specifically for hogs.

LSB Active Member
Oddly enough I came from a 308AR. Yours might be really light I dunno. My PWS 16' 7.62x39 is 6 lb 8 oz. The 308 has more stink behind it for sure although at my hunting ranges it's not an issue. For me I wanted to be able to put a can on it and not have an 11-12 lb gun which is what my 308AR would have been dressed out in same fashion. This current rifle will be well under 10 lbs with 24 rounds in mag, thermal and suppressor.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The x39 shoots like a 30-30 semi auto, I went 6.8 and never looked back

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have Eric from Blackstone Arms (sponsor, here) build you what you want. A 6.8 upper from him will work on your existing AR15 lower if you love that lower. You'll love the AR 15 Performance barrel he uses for his builds.

Welcome to the fray.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks RD!!

OP, Contact me and I will answer any questions and give you info so that you can make the best decision based on your needs.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks RD!!

OP, Contact me and I will answer any questions and give you info so that you can make the best decision based on your needs.

I bought a upper from Eric and the reason why was he took my call answered all my questions thoroughly. If you want questions answered, he is a whiz on ballistics and upper setups. He is a good guy who will treat you right. My 2 cents.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’ll suggest you contact Eric also. Great guy very customer service oriented and his uppers can’t be beat.