New Member from Arkansas

Japex

Hello everyone!

I found this site while trying to figure out which thermal scope will be my first. Very helpful. Anything against the zues 336 3-12x 60hz? Or any recommendations for one that's bw $3k-$4k? Don't want a Thor HD BC it's not waterproof.
Thanks!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Ignore a guy named DJ on this site. He was one of the extras in Deliverance and still thinks he is in character.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! There will be others to give you sage advice soon. i kill em' mostly in the daylight....I like to sleep at night!

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FWIW - I have that scope in 30hz and think it does a fine job. 300 might be at the far end of its range for consistent DRT shots. It has no problem detecting far beyond that though. In the video, the second group, after I pan left, is at about 300yds+ at native resolution.

I do not have any experience with the 60hz but word on the street is that battery life is substantially less than a 30hz (3 hrs. +/-). If you don't get the external battery pack, your gonna need a whole bunch of CR123's.

Look around and you might be able to find a new Zeus 640-42-30 for not much more than $4K or if your not in a hurry, wait for the new 12 micron core.

Japex

Awesome thanks Bakester. When do the 12 microns come out? And I assume that'll be better image quality

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome! Every part of Arkansas are you from? I was stationed in Jacksonville for 6 years. My wife is from Hot Springs and my dad lives near Clinton.

300 yards will be pushing it for a 336 unit. It might be hard to get a positive ID before you shoot at that range.

60 Hz isn't worth it unless you are scanning from a moving vehicle at 30mph or more on a routine basis.

You may want to give the new Pulsar Trail 640 scope a look. It isn't out just yet, but the trial reviews are good. Give ******** at ******************* a call. Good people.

Japex

Afalex I'm from Ashdown. Over here by Texarkana. I'm planning on buying around April, it sounds like I need to wait for a minute. I'll stick with a 30 Hz if that's the case. Thanks for the info

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart people here, and they let me here anyway.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!! Japex!