New Hunting Bullet. Cavity Back MKZ "Maximum Kill Zone" (Graphic Images)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

For the last few weeks I have been testing the new hunting bullets from www.cavitybackbullets.com in particular their 6.8 120 MKZ. Just as the thread title says MKZ stands for maximum kill zone these bullets are designed to expand up to 2.5 times the caliber, at a very wide velocity range from 2800 fps to 1400 fps.

The MKZ bullets are solid copper monolithic bullets. As we know copper weighs less than lead, so a copper bullet the same weight and caliber must be longer than the same weight and caliber lead bullet. A longer bullet leaves less room for power in the case limiting the weight of most copper bullet designs, but the "Cavity Back" bullets as the name suggest have a cavity in the rear of the bullet. This cavity allows more room for powder, with the 6.8spc 120MKZ I was able to use the same powder charge as the 120gr SST with no powder compression.

At the time of writing this report I have taken 26 feral hogs with the 120 MKZ. While this is a small sample the results have been positive, and consistent enough for me to feel comfortable releasing this report. Ranges have been from 40 yards to 150 yards, no recovered bullets yet all completely passed through. Exit wounds all have a triangular shape and average between 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter, producing massive amounts of blood loss. Some copper bullets tested in the past did very well when hitting solid mass like muscle and bone but would zip right through if you missed the mark and hit soft tissue farther back back. So far the MKZ has not experienced this problem and seems to expand and transfer energy to the target regardless of hitting soft or solid tissues, knocking down running hogs even with bad shot placement center gut shots.

Here are a few graphic pics below showing the typical MKZ exit wound.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's some nasty looking exit wounds. How do these compare price wise with the other popular premium hunting bullets?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's not bad then. They seem to function as good as the Barnes. At least in the preliminary testing.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's not bad then. They seem to function as good as the Barnes. At least in the preliminary testing.
The barnes do not even come close. Half of these would have ran off with the Barnes. Love me some barnes but the 6.8 95gr ttsx and 85gr tsx do not open up fast enough.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, been waiting on that review, thanks for posting. Those wounds aren't gonna heal up and leave little blood, wow!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! Those are some nasty exit wounds. I rarely, if ever, get anything like that with a SST, even on those running away soft tissue gut shots.

I like the TTSX too, but in addition to higher cost than SST, it seems the TTSX doesn't play well with other bullets, at least in my *** barrels (TTSX accuracy tends to fall off after shooting other types of bullets - this can be rectified by a good copper cleaning, ymmv). I wonder if the same would hold true for the all copper MKZ.

TLM, if you continue to experience good results with the MKZ do you see it possibly replacing the venerable SST as your go-to hog round?

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was impressive.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some great footage there, and some good testing efforts. Robert's got some fine looking bullets coming to market!! Thanks for the vid!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! Those are some nasty exit wounds. I rarely, if ever, get anything like that with a SST, even on those running away soft tissue gut shots.

I like the TTSX too, but in addition to higher cost than SST, it seems the TTSX doesn't play well with other bullets, at least in my *** barrels (TTSX accuracy tends to fall off after shooting other types of bullets - this can be rectified by a good copper cleaning, ymmv). I wonder if the same would hold true for the all copper MKZ.

TLM, if you continue to experience good results with the MKZ do you see it possibly replacing the venerable SST as your go-to hog round?

It's still to early to tell if they will replace the sst yet, the performance has been excellent though. They are heads and shoulders above the TTSX in the 6.8 I love barnes bullets but the tsx/ttsx 6.8 pills have not performed like I would like them to.

As for accuracy it was designed to be very accurate, I have not tesred groups yet but had no problems hitting pigs at 150 yards.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's still to early to tell if they will replace the sst yet, the performance has been excellent though. They are heads and shoulders above the TTSX in the 6.8 I love barnes bullets but the tsx/ttsx 6.8 pills have not performed like I would like them to.

As for accuracy it was designed to be very accurate, I have not tesred groups yet but had no problems hitting pigs at 150 yards.
Is anyone making factory loads for them yet, or do they plan to?????????

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I loaded a couple of the 105s to test for pressure. Once i find out where the pressure is ill start on working up a load and then should be perfect time for deer season. Hogs are becoming very hard to find around here so ill do what i can.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seems like these would do better on the real big pigs than the ssts also?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I loaded a couple of the 105s to test for pressure. Once i find out where the pressure is ill start on working up a load and then should be perfect time for deer season. Hogs are becoming very hard to find around here so ill do what i can.
The 105's I am going to use are 30gr of AA2200.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
can you do a review on how they do in the dirt... just in case?

Well I think you may want to consider these before the EPA makes you do a lead removal job at your place.