New huntable property. What questions to ask owner

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My brother in law got Access from a coworker to hut hogs on his property (160 acres) about an hour from my place and 30 mins from his. The owner says he's got tons of hogs. He's going to check out the property with the land owner this Sunday. Here are the questions I've compiled so far to ask the land owner. Please let me know if y'all can think of anything else.
Can we bait (roll barrels, rubs etc)?
Can we bring guests?
What does he want us to do with carcasses?
Does he want us to shoot coyotes, bobcats, foxes, coons etc?
Where not to shoot (neighboring property/houses etc)?
Any feeders or other food plots already out there, if so are they throwing?
Water situation (ponds/creeks etc)?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get written permission to cover you. Does he live on property or need to be notified of your presence?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WHAT LIVESTOCK IS ON THE PROPERTY!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
don't ask about bringing guests

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
google earth

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Generally I wouldn't ask that up front but according to my brother in law the guy really doesn't care. He doesn't live on it and he's more excited about the .22 let ammo my BIL is gonna give him. But we might hold off anyways for a while on asking that.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still, do like TLM suggests and wait until y'all are successful and doing the guy a favor before possibly offending the guy and ruining a good deal.

I would suggest asking...

Are there any times he doesn't want you hunting (hours or particular days)?
Is anyone else supposed to be hunting the property?
Do you need to call first to make sure nobody else is there?
Any places you aren't supposed to drive a vehicle?
Any hazards on the property? (pits, wells, sinkholes, swamps, mine fields, etc.)
If he is tight with his neighbors, will he let his neighbors know you are going to be hunting the property?

Also ask if there is anything he needs you to check on or look for while you are there.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well my Brother in law (Tanner-- he just joined!) went out to that property today. He says there are wallows everywhere u look! He also said that almost no one has been on the property in 5 years. We are good to go on all the hogs we can handle. And the owner doesn't even hunt. But there is a lot of underbrush throughout the property so not a whole lot of open land for follow ups shots. But we will be able to drop some roll barrels, make some rubs, and set up some blinds. We might even get to take a deer! He chose not to ask about bringing a guest yet but he is confident that when the time arrives we will get the nod, so long as he or I am out there with said guest. So basically that's really good news... The only thing that possibly coulda made it better was if they owned more land and more of it was cut down and open but I'm certainly not complaining since I'm used to driving 5 hrs each way to go shoot pigs and this land owner is being very generous. I will be sure to keep his freezer full and gun cabinet full of .22lr!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats!!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always like to hear about generally good ole folks still allowing others to hunt. Respect the property and him and you guys sound like you have it made ( you know close to the house and all and plenty of hog sign). Still some good ole boys out there. Good on ya!!! Hope to see some pictures of some downed porkers!! BANG BANG!!

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Sounds like you hit the jackpot!

Hopefully, when you start taking guests that they don't take it upon themselves to hunt their without you.

Seen some sorry individuals ruin things one way or another :mad: