New Feeder

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This weekend I replaced one of my small feeder with a larger one. The old one was a POS and only held 150lbs of corn, plus the coons treated the thing like a jungle gym. I was always fixing things they messed up.

So I built a coons, bird, squirrel, and storm proof feeder. First I used 1/4 thick angle iron that I acquired for free, in all it was about $400 worth of steel. Then the 55 gal drum was also free from a friend. The only thing I had to buy was feeder feet, varmint cage, winch, pulleys, and chain. In all I spent $100 out of my pocket.

I welded it up over a couple weekends and it turned out really good. In don't see this thing being knock over any time soon. The bottom of the spinner is at 7 foot and in total it is about 13 foot tall. It seems whenever I build something I go big, I guess it comes from donit right the first time.

Next I have to rebuild a blind that has seen better days. In fact I had to kill a vulcher that took up residence in this old blind. Now the thing needs to air out before I even take a hammer to it.

Anyways here is a pic of the feeder. I have nicknamed it derrick feeder because it looks like a oil derrick.

[URL=http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/WASSMAN68/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140322_181439_766.jpg.html] [/URL]

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Dang Wass! Serious overkill, but you won't have to replace that thing for a long long time. Nice job.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My request is to put measurement markings on the legs every six inches up to four feet.

I think that if everyone did this we would get better data from game camera photos.

Wouldn't take very long or cost very much. If you do, I will buy lunch.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Overkill yes, you should see one of my blinds. It has captains chairs from a caravan in it and they swivel.

If a coon can break into this cage he deserves all the corn he can eat. Still doesn't get him a pardon from a firing line though.

Measurements on feeder legs is a great idea. Just a can of orange spray paint should do the trick.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn that is a killer feeder, I guess you are also not planning on moving it very soon! great job and the price was right! I like the reflective tape, going to get some for mine...Thanks!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK cool, pics then when twin peaks opens near the range I am buying.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually frank I designed it so it would break down into 6 pieces, pieces small enough to be transported in the back of a truck, and assembled by one person. I put this one up by myself and the truck did the heavy lifting. But yes it will be staying here for sometime. I have great deer hitting this spot all the time. I took a 9pt cull buck from here last season, but been eyeing this pretty 8pt, I am hoping he looks just as nice or better next season.

Lunch is on BD

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done Pardner! I also use office chairs that roll and spin in my shooting houses...love them!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The next thing I will here is that you have AC in your blinds. Which you need to hunt in FL or TX heat.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have fans and Direct TV

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good looking feeder there Kemosabe.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks well built and really durable. How bout a blind with a mini fridge and a recliner to go with that direcTV.