New Dabbling in KNIVES...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I have a lease here in FL come-on down!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually knifemaking got me into hog hunting. I had made a knife and posted it on one of the other forums. I got a PM asking if I would be interested in trading the knife for a 3 day Hog hunt. Well needless to say I went hog hunting for the first time in Tx. Since then I have found the 458Socom and other AR15's that I intend to take Sus eliminating some day. Life has too much of a tendency to get in the way.
DSC_0015-1-1.jpg
Holy crap!!!!

I remember seeing when you posted that knife on arfcom a while back. I remember thinking that it was absolutely gorgeous and definitely in my top 5 favorite knives I've ever seen. Well done!

Didn't you make you and your son a matched pair similar to the one above but smaller to take on that hunt?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mmmm... love me some Damascus! Bunches of work though! That's a lot of heating, drawing, folding, welding!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holy crap!!!!

I remember seeing when you posted that knife on arfcom a while back. I remember thinking that it was absolutely gorgeous and definitely in my top 5 favorite knives I've ever seen. Well done!

Didn't you make you and your son a matched pair similar to the one above but smaller to take on that hunt?
fatherandsonknifeset2012005.jpg

These...

I will post further answers in the how to thread. Sorry for hijacking this one RD.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got a care package in the mail a couple of days ago. A motorcycle buddy back in Ohio saw my knife thread on another forum, and decided I needed some stuff to play with.

Decades ago, he ordered some Brazilian Mahogany to make a paned door for a corporate office. Years later, after the business was bought by a large corp., he salvaged his door during a demo. I got a section of the panel, and a chunk of a style. Bonus scores... he included a chunk of Granadillo Wood which he brought back from a trip to Git'mo (Cuba). This stuff is about like Ironwood... incredibly DENSE and HEAVY! A mature tree gets to between 4"-6" in diameter. I got some sweet exotic wood to play with for scales. The other bonus was a Stanley Bailey No.3 bench plane. It needs some love, a screw for the iron/chipper, and a blade depth adjuster nut... but, it's a size I don't have. Another OLD tool! Love it. This plane is older than me, no doubt.