NEW ATN Thor HD - Might Want To Wait Before Buying

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, this is an opinion piece based on information I am gleaning from new owners on Texas Hunting Forum, ATN, and videos put out so far.

ATN released a new line of thermal scopes, building on their previous Thor line, but radically changing it to include the X-sight fiasco-based Obsidian computer system. Y'all may recall the 2015 rollout of the X-sight of digital night vision scopes that were plagued with problems. Just ask Frank about his. This year brings the X-sight HD II and the Thor HD that use this system.

Like the plagued X-Sight system, the Thor HD promises a myriad of electro-magical features, 90% of which you don't need and that never worked properly on the X-Sight...
Thermal Rifle Scope ThOR-HD with Camera for Night hunting

I am not sure why you need a magnetometer, but it has this and some other weird features.

What is really cool about the new Thor HD line is that ATN seems to have been the first to break the sub $2000 barrier for offering a thermal weapon sight. It is their lowest end unit with the smallest lens and least magnification, but by golly, the resolution and capabilities are not unrealistic for use in short range hunting. This would basically put you back about 5 years technologically when this would have been considered pretty darned good.

The bottom line benefit of these units, aside from low cost, is that they do onboard recording of video, which is a really slick idea. The X-sight had all sorts of issues getting image and sound to work through the various firm ware upgrades and while the X-sight HD II may be better, it still suffers screen flickering.

So what is great about the Thor HD other than that it records video? You would think you are getting HD quality video and it does record in HD, but it is an HD recording of the typical resolution images. Imagine that you had an old photograph from the 1800s that was blurry, so you scanned it on an HD scanner to make and HD image. You now have a blurry HD image. The point here is that the two sensors 384x288 and 640x480 are basically the same resolutions we are seeing with other thermal scopes by Pulsar, FLIR, Armasight, Eotech, and IR Defense. So the HD thing is a bit misleading. The resolution is never better than the sensor. You can make the recording use up a lot more memory, but the quality of the image won't improve as a result.

So far in the units I have seen discusses, two have died. One unit never powered up a second time and another unit would not power up again after a battery change. The other units seem to either have image quality issues or sound quality issues. Here are some videos submitted by various folks. These first videos are from 384x288 resolution units because ATN has not released the 640x480 resolution units yet. Nobody has gotten around to testing the other features you pay for when you buy one of these scopes.

This first video won't embed, so you have to click on it. It has a huntable image, but there is no sound for some reason and there are a lot of dead pixels. Dead pixels are not a good thing. The Thor HD can record in sound. Why no sound?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/Thermal/ATNX0026.MOV

This video was provided by an ATN vendor. It is not in focus (or maybe it was?), looks like it needs to be NUC'd, there is no sound, and generally looks like the unit doesn't function well. It was only shot at 20-30 yards.

The ATN rep wanted to post a better video and offered this one to show how good the unit is. It is of a dog at 5 yards. The sound does not appear to be synced with the action. There are gray flashes. At 5 yards, this should be a spectacular video.

Video from this poster looks pretty darned good. However, the sound cuts out before the video does, seemingly indicating that sound and image are out of sync.

The vendor posted this video. Looks like hogs in high grass, so it is difficult to assess the image quality except to say that the quality looks about right for the resolution and seeing hogs in high grass. Basically, it looks fine. However, the sound and image are not in sync here either.

This guy decided to do a comparison between a Pulsar Apex XD38a and a Thor HD. In defense of the Thor HD, the quality of the image should not be quite as good as it has a smaller 25mm lens and slightly less magnification. However, these differences do not represent the problems found by the guy making the video. Note the bright line in the image and that this is one of the Thors that died, not to be able to be revived. This is a pretty good video.

Bottom line - The new Thor HD line, as indicated by the few examples out in the real world right now, has issues. Unless you just have a lot of money you don't need and want to buy thermal scopes that suffer from ATN Syndrome, spend your money elsewhere.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I spent about 15 minutes at the ATN booth at SHOT show trying to take a look at these. They had 3 on display that I was free to walk up to and handle, not one worked well enough to see someone standing 10 feet away. Trying to figure out the settings for brightness and contras was an effort in futility.

Not once during that time fidgeting with the scopes did any of their sales people even acknowledge my presence in the booth.....

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Brian, just what I am hearing too. ATN over promises and under delivers and the support is poor at best..

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well,,,, it seems that not much has changed in a year? BANG BANG!!

On a side note I have not heard or read anything about this,,, probably because I just choose to stay completely away from them!:)

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a ATN Thor thermal clip on, and while it has some neat features, I will never buy another ATN product.

The clip on would not save adjustments, so I finally had to turn the reticle colors to black and utilize the illumination features from my NF scope. Customer service at ATN is a friggin' joke. I spoke with 2 individuals in the "customer service" department and was told on both occasions to follow the instructions in the owner's manual. When I relayed that I had followed the instruction and that the unit was not saving changes, I was told that I must not be following the directions properly. I had an officer with the local sheriff's office attempt to make the changes. His efforts over a 3 week period were as futile as mine. It is workable and produces a good image, but for over $5k, one would think it would work as advertised.

If you want a thermal device, forget about ATN.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm always hopeful about new products at low prices coming out, but I just can't trust a company like ATN who is so blatant about selling false images/false promises.

Their main home page...
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 2.05.36 PM.png

The first product on the page is the X-sight 2 HD. The first night vision sample pic they post right there on their homepage is a lone wolf standing there.
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 2.05.18 PM.png

It took me about 3 seconds to do an image search to find that the wolf pic is nothing but a regular color stock photo that they turned green.
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 2.05.04 PM.png
Link to stock photo site

Their site is littered with examples just like this. Just not a company I can justify buying their product and expecting anything but smoke and mirrors....

Last edited:

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another thing that concerns me about ATN is the ignorance the individuals manning their customer service center have about the products. For the Tico clip on, I called to specifically ask about the centerline height of the unit to get my scope within the 3mm ideal window indicated in the owners manual. I was told that they did not have access to that information and I could get it myself by using a ruler or a set of calipers. WFT???

Lazy and ignorant.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did recently get the X-sight original 3-12 at a nice discount and it does run as it should, good for day or night, have not sighted it in as of yet. Everything is turned off but the recorder, none of the other features are of interest to me and just eats batteries...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I looked through them at shot show as well, got called a spy when I asked about using Chinese cores instead of flir this year.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does anyone know if they use a 25micron, 17 'micron or a 12 micron microblobmeter....

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did recently get the X-sight original 3-12 at a nice discount and it does run as it should, good for day or night, have not sighted it in as of yet. Everything is turned off but the recorder, none of the other features are of interest to me and just eats batteries...
Give em hell Frank, you are persistent!! BANG BANG!!

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Personally, I hated that ATN quit making the old Thor as after years of refinement they finally had a real solid thermal scope. My 2015 THOR 640 2.5X has proven to be my best thermal system I've owned out of a dozen plus models not one performance,software or construction issue with heavy field use. I give ATN credit for that.

I had high hopes for the new Thor HD models the ULIS sensor is a good core proven by the pulsars thermals using them last few years. The lower pricing is good for the buyers market forcing other companies to reconsider their pricing to stay competitive. I like the onboard recording, but the rest of that cr@p can go in the trash bin as far as I'm concerned.

That all said the new Thor HD is not only cheaper, it looks cheaper built not something I'm real excited about. The firmware issues some are having seems to be normal for most any company releasing thermal scopes last few years. Let's face it being a early adopter you are subject future to firmware upgrades be it ATN, IRD or Armasight all have had their share of new model firmware issues and fixes.

I had planned on picking up a 384 HD 25mm lens at some point for a back up scope the price is pretty tempting.Im going to watch for a while and let this model mature some and if it doesn't then go another route.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here is a vid from a 640 resolution, 2.5x Thor HD. Surprisingly, the sound and the action correspond (as they should). I think it might have looked better had the shooter NUC'ed the image more often. Note that the previous videos were from the low end, smaller lens, 384 resolution scopes.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Had a chance to test a buddies new THOR HD 640 2.5X last night. Pretty interesting system its a little scary looking at the menu first time its crazy all the features available. I don't see myself using half these features because I just prefer simple stupid on/off shoot type controls for speed in the field. That all said after little use the menu system gets easier and easier to use.

First thing I noticed is the new objective lens the whole thing doesn't rotate like my old THOR's. It works much like the Zeus line in the fact the middle part of the lens turns for fine focus but front lens part stays fixed. The rear eye lens and LCD screen looks solid however it doesn't have the eye relief the my THOR 640 2.5X has. The older PVS-14 rear lens was better no surprise, but I adjusted to the new style lens and screen very fast and didn't notice it after some use at all. The Thor HD LCD is pretty nice one of the better and decent sized LCD's I viewed through on a thermal system, but I still prefer the richer contrast the old style OLED provides in comparison. That said nothing wrong with the newer LCD and if it saves 500-1000 dollars on the total price vs a OLED it may be worth it to many people.

The rifle mount appeared to me a AM Defense single throw lever which I like it better than my Older model Thor's arms mount

The HD performance was very close to my old style THOR 640 2.5X in white hot overall. The black hot needs some fine tuning in firmware it wasn't as impressive as the white hot at this time.

Overall from my limited use this is a ready to hunt system right now with middle of the road 640 performance in white hot. With some minor performance firmware upgrades and couple changes in menu layout or quick access buttons I would like to see to help with speedy field use, ATN will sale these like hot cakes at current pricing.

I don't think ATN set out to make the new THOR HD the king of all thermal scopes. I think they are trying to offer solid performance, good value and alot features for the dollar.

You could add a few more premium features like the mil-spec PVS-14 eye glass maybe a high end OLED etc etc and sure you may get alittle more performance out of the system. As the say small gains in performance comes at big gains in price though.

Last edited: