New 6.8 Bullet

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cant help but wonder, Can someone explain why the 6.8 is so popular on the forum?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cant help but wonder, Can someone explain why the 6.8 is so popular on the forum?
Many of us also haunt an older forum: 68forums.com. Besides, the caliber holds its own, on its own.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 popular? I guess it is because in an AR platform it is the most effective rd for taking deer and hogs. The selection of ammo, the knock down power, the accuracy is all superior as an all around hunting caliber.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Like all have said it is an excellent all around caliber.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot the 6.5. The write ups for the 6.5 are not very flattering but the 6.8 gang seem to like them.There has been a bullet out now for a few months called the Cutting Edge they according to all write ups are FANTASTIC and their videos are great. But,, I have not found anyone that has shot them and I do not reload so I have not been able to try them. They are pricey but the cool factor is up there. I wish someone would try them and have some shots of them in action. Cutting Edge has them is most all calibers. Have a friend that has some and shoots the 6.8 but has not loaded any yet and has hogs to test them on also. Guess I will stick with the SSTs they seem to work just fine. BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong w the 6.5 at all, it is more a reloaders caliber...so is the 6.8 but it has a lot of factory ammo out there.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you do some searching for prices they are very affordable too, that is why I do not reload. I am buying ammo now for 18 a box, it is just easier. BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I got the best 6.8 ammo for 14 a box and some is even 11.99, ya gotta love it..stay stocked up for the next scare..I keep 1000 rd of 6.8 on hand at all times of factory ammo.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

They pretty much answered your question already above. For hunting purposes the 6.8 is hard to beat 80% of the .308's power out to 300 yards, no recoil for fast follow up shots, all in a light AR15 package that can accept all kinds of optics ect. In my humble opinion the 6.8 and the .308 are my top two hunting options.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Guess I will have to give these a try see what the piggys think.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot the 6.5. The write ups for the 6.5 are not very flattering but the 6.8 gang seem to like them.There has been a bullet out now for a few months called the Cutting Edge they according to all write ups are FANTASTIC and their videos are great. But,, I have not found anyone that has shot them and I do not reload so I have not been able to try them. They are pricey but the cool factor is up there. I wish someone would try them and have some shots of them in action. Cutting Edge has them is most all calibers. Have a friend that has some and shoots the 6.8 but has not loaded any yet and has hogs to test them on also. Guess I will stick with the SSTs they seem to work just fine. BANG BANG!!

I have a box of the cutting edge bullets for the 6.8. I just haven't loaded them yet because I have nothing to test them on. If I can get on another hog hunt where I know I'll see larger hogs I'm going to load up a mag of them to try out

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I think the SSA Barnes 110TSX is my rd instead of this new Hornady $31 a box ammo...especially since it was just on BOGO at $14 a box.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea but Frank the MSRP is higher on just about everything once the stores start selling them the price will drop.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I know is that is what they are listed for at the ammo outlets...I will use mine till they get to $14 a box.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
$14 a box is not bad considering a box of 50 bullets is $34 + shipping.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah got that in the BOGO sale SSA had, loaded up on my 110TSX..after I sell the brass my cost is $7.00 a box..pretty darn cheap for Barnes rds.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM

the 6.8 uses a .277 bullet, ton of hunting bullets available, the 6.8 in an AR platform doesn't have much more kick than a .223 but way more power in the terms of Kinetic Energy. The 6.8 has a good supply of ammo and brass. Magazines are readily available. Ton of manufacturers of barrels and bolts if you want to build one in an AR. Accuracy is great also, my 12.5" hog gun holds .5 MOA.

as for this thread, i'll stick with the 95gr TTSX over the GMX if I want an all copper bullet, tried and true. Lately though I've been using the 120 SST for hogs, but for deer I would rather use the 95's.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
I just like it, kinda like vanilla ice cream and tall women lol

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
My Son tried the Full Boar ammo in 223 last weekend, they expand nicely. Found them at Academy for $21.99 a box. I tried the SSA 90 gr bonded rounds and I wasn't too happy. They worked great on piglets, but couldn't stop the bigger hogs. Of course shot placement is key, but I will stick with the Fusion and Hornady 120 gr SST. They give me a little room for error with running hogs.