Need to make a shield for a feeder to direct the throw

LSB Active Member
We have about 90 degrees or one side of a feeder we'd like to direct corn away from. It's ok if the shield wraps around the edges a bit and covers more than 90 as well. Basically we want to throw N, S and W, but not East. Thanks to the inventive mind crowd I know someone will have a DIY idea.

My first thought is to simply zip tie a cut out section of milk carton around the cage, but I'm also a dumb ass.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I would think you'd want to use something with a 90° corner. Have to figure a way to attach it so the outside angle would be used to split the corn being thrown.

LSB Active Member
All I can think of is something tough enough to weather all the rain and wind like plastic, but I can also poke a hole in to run zip ties. Gotta be something better than that, but maybe it will work. Going to try and get 'er dun today.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Probably could set a 4x4 post right next to the feeder. Turn it where the edge/corner would deflect the corn. It would have to be real close to the slinger.

Hopefully that way you wouldn't get a pile right under the feeder.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you have a varmit cage on your feeder? Ive got a Boss Buck feeder with the feeder attachment and the varmit cage. I think I could cut up a cheap plastic trash can to prevent corn being thrown in any particular direction.

LSB Active Member
Do you have a varmit cage on your feeder? Ive got a Boss Buck feeder with the feeder attachment and the varmit cage. I think I could cut up a cheap plastic trash can to prevent corn being thrown in any particular direction.

Yup it's the small cage on a 300 lb feeder so it doesn't go out to the bottom edge. That's what I was thinking the zip ties would go through

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a varmint cage on mine, and I cut some pieces of 3/8" exterior plywood to cover the sides where I didn't want corn thrown. I drilled holes in the plywood and ran pieces of fence wire through the wood, attaching to the varmint cage. I my case the feeder is over a trap and I want the corn to drop into the trap and throw only one direction - at and beyond the trap entrance.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had the same issue and came up with a straightforward and inexpensive solution.

And you can have confidence in it, because I'm a smart ass.

Don't use plastic. Weather and UV rays will break it down if the squirrels and coons don't chew it up first just for fun.

Buy this in the 12" diameter:
image.jpg

Cut it in half. Trim as needed for the acreage you want blocked.

(Because it's already rounded, it will curve nicely around a round cage; modify for a square cage).

Drill a bunch of holes about 4" apart around the edge of the sheet; they should be large enough to accommodate a sturdy zip tie. You probably won't need to use all of them, but they'll be available if you need them.

Spray paint both sides dull black. (This will reduce glare from the light source from rifle or camera).

Tag to feeder cage with only a couple of zip ties and test for placement.

Secure with lots of zip ties.

Expect more noise as the corn hits the metal, not necessarily a bad thing if you want the beasts to know when it goes off.

The corn most likely will not actually be deflected in another direction; it will simply drop straight down.

Again, not necessarily a bad thing.

Mine has been up for over four years through all kinds of weather and still does the job.

Last edited:

LSB Active Member
I had the same issue and came up with a straightforward and inexpensive solution.

Don't use plastic. Weather and UV rays will break it down if the squirrels and coons don't chew it up first just for fun.

View attachment 4778

(Because it's already rounded, it will curve nicely around a round cage; modify for a square cage).

Drill a bunch of holes about 4" apart around the edge of the sheet; they should be large enough to accommodate a sturdy zip tie. You probably won't need to use all of them, but they'll be available if you need them.

Spray paint both sides dull black. (This will reduce glare from the light source from rifle or camera).

Expect more noise as the corn hits the metal, not necessarily a bad thing if you want the beasts to know when it goes off.

The corn most likely will not actually be deflected in another direction; it will simply drop straight down.

Mine has been up for over four years through all kinds of weather and still does the job.

That's perfect thanks dude on my way to Home Depot anyway for some stuff perfect!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Post a photo if you can...

PreacherBoy

I use what us country boys know as a tow sack. These are burlap bags that you used to buy 50 lbs. cattle/horse feed in. Now they are either paper or plastic but you can still get the empty burlap bags at most feed stores. Only thing is they are now called country craft bags.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I rigged one up using an old aluminum coffee can. My intention was just to make noise and it ended up directing corn a particular direction.

LSB Active Member

View attachment 4778

FYI I used this exact setup and it's all aces thanks man.