Need help building a night time hog killer

Extractor23

I am looking to put together a night time rig for hogs. I am pretty much decided on an IR Defense MK II 35 mm for my thermal optic. I just can not decide what to put it on.

Here are my current top choices in no particular order.

1. Wilson Combat Recon .308 16 inch barrel. Here is my question on this rifle. I have a thunder beast ultra 7 that i want to run on which ever rifle i pick. Do the Wilson's have an adjustable gas block or will I have to buy that separately to run it suppressed.

2. PredatOBR .308 16 in barrel. These have an adjustable gas block so should be easy to get the suppressor tuned in and ready to go.

3. LWRC Razorback 6.8 A5. Piston driven with adjustable gas block

Advantages of the .308 are knockdown power and ammo availability. I have a bolt .308 so already have a good stockpile of ammo for a .308

Advantages of the 6.8. Lower recoil and lower weight of the overall package.

Any thoughts recommendations or suggestions? Anything else i should consider.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, have Eric with Blackstone Arms build you a rig. He uses quality 6.8 barrels from ***.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've used both and have good success with both. I have noticed more power with the AR-10 but drawback is weight. Since I stalk a lot, the 6.8 works perfect. It really comes down to your preference and hunting style.

Gas blocks are usually swappable but I would double check with the manufactures above. All those models you listed are excellent choices but a custom 6.8 uppers with *** parts is just as good imo. It also costs a lot less and you can easily swap out parts. Blackstone Arms is a good builder and his turn around time is FAST.

Last edited:

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There's no dispute the power of a 308, but you've got to ask yourself how long the shots you're likely to take are.

Personally, I've not taken a shot in the dark over 200 yards and for that the 6.8 is working fantastic. Between the weight, capacity and SBR ability of the 6.8, that's what pushed me over the edge.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There's no dispute the power of a 308, but you've got to ask yourself how long the shots you're likely to take are.

Personally, I've not taken a shot in the dark over 200 yards and for that the 6.8 is working fantastic. Between the weight, capacity and SBR ability of the 6.8, that's what pushed me over the edge.

SBR .. another plus with the 6.8

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have to think your follow up shots are faster and more accurate with a 6.8, lots of ammo choices, and it is lighter to pile the Thermal and suppressor on. I would go with a standard *** 6.8 and not the LWRC which is a custom and only 1 source for mags and lighter. I know you can't beat a LWRC just too many drawbacks for me and I can buy 2 rifles for the cost of 1.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Eric, at Blackstone Arms, made me a 6.8 exactly the way I wanted it. So if you don't see what you want on his website he'll work with you to get exactly what YOU want. I too recommend a 6.8 because of the weight. 16 inch barrel with an adjustable gas block. I'd also recommend going with the lightest free floating hand guard you can afford.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for all the good words fellas. Sorry it's taking me a while to chime in here, wife's b-day and she wanted to go off roading so I wasn't checking the webs!!

Extractor23, numerous people have given you good advice on the caliber pros and cons. Oso made a good point in that when hunting at night you will very seldom shoot 200 yards. Most of the time it's in the 75 to 125 yard range. The 6.8 is more than capable of taking pigs at those ranges, and farther. The 6.8 IMO, and many others is the best hunting caliber in the AR-15 platform.

You can call me at 214-945-5520 and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. I can give you same accuracy or better for much less.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Piston driven units all you do is flip the nob up front, Just an FYI there for ya. They also have a new unit out on the BCG you just flip the nob and that way you do not have to worry about an adjustable gas block and you can use the same rifle with out having to adjust every time you take off the suppressor. Get a 6.8 it will slay anything in the lower 48 with good results. BANG BANG!!

PS: or a Grendel 6.5

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would have to agree with everyone so far about the 6.8. This would be me choice since that what I was using with my IRDefense.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That carrier doesn't limit the amount of gas that comes back, it vents it out so that less is used to cycle the action. This could lead to more blowback/gas in your face.

A lot of people get really wrapped up in the suppressor/adjustable gas issue. For years I ran a normal DI system suppressed with zero issues. My opinion is if you are going to run a suppressor most of the time, install an adjustable block. If you are running suppressor just some of the time use a normal gas block. If you are running 50/50 or close to that it's a toss up. AR's will run fine over gassed but it can/will hurt accuracy(Not enough in a hunting situation), more felt recoil and more wear on the components (for a hunter that shoots 100-300 rounds a year it would take a while to see the effects). The more moving parts on something the greater chance of failure.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And that is why I have never had any good thoughts about adjustable gas blocks^^^. I know 3 people 4 including TLM that have not had any issues with the new adjustable bolt from Gemtech. and TLM is even left handed and shot this and said he did not have any troubles or it did not bother him. My other couple of acquaintances love them and also have had zero issues. Just like Eric above some folks have had not to run any thing with their suppressors some have. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. But it is my opinion the bolt would be better than an adjustable gas block just for the simple fact it is easier to access and clean and you never have to worry about alignment issues, or the piston setup is good also from what I hear but do not know anyone that has ran one other than what TLM has posted. These two methods mentioned above seem a lot more easier than the gas block stuff! Besides that they are COOL and the cool factor has a lot to do with everything AR. You know,,,, because they are COOL!!!:) 3 options for you, pick one and if you do not like it then go with the other??:) BANG BANG!!

Drift

LSB Member
With out doubt the 6.8. Less recoil means faster more accurate follow up shots. Look at the hunting video threads. I'll bet you see 3:1 more kills with a 6.8/6.5 than anything else

normAK

Have you considered the Keltec RFB 308/7.62 ?

Mine has knocked down both hog and moose. It's only 8.1 lbs, has an 18 inch barrel and because it's a bullpup it is only 26 inches overall length. It has a darn nice trigger too. Here is my RFB with an XSight mounted on it and I also have a SeeAll Open Sight on an angled mount for those quick shots in the brush.

rfb.jpeg

D

djones

if you're picking them off a feeder, anything accurate works. if they are running and you want to see your kills after you hit them, 308... if you don't mind the short comings mentioned above. stoke it with fast 125 or 130 gr bullets that hit like hand grenades. if you just want to shoot at them but don't really care if you kill that many, 6.8 works great. just get a good looking rifle cause that's about all you will be taking pictures of.

LSB Active Member
if you're picking them off a feeder, anything accurate works.

I actually like a 22mag for that! bleeding the feeders dry for spring turkey season so bringing one out for some feeder fodder as a matter of fact.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The DPMS GII rifles are pretty light. The Hunter weighs 7 1/4 pounds. I like the Nosler BT's running above 3000 fps. Best bullet combination I have ever tried and that pretty well covers all of them.

D

djones

how the heck would you know if your gun is lite? i have to carry your gun, ammo, styx, photo equip and girl scout cookies. then i have to drag the hogs and call you bwana. it's almost a blessing that you've run out of hogs