My son's first hog!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The wife and daughter were gone for the evening so my 9 year old son and I decided to hunt. We hit the place we usually see hogs but nothing was out. Before we arrived at the next place the rain hit, so nothing there either. We stopped by my office for a bit to wait out the storms but the weather wouldn't relent. Running to town, grabbing something to-go for supper and heading home was the new plan. On the way to town I pulled in to do a quick scan of a place where my Co-worker had been seeing what he called a "granddaddy" pig. We were just a hundred yards in when I saw a small group coming around a row of baleage towards us. I turned the car where my son was facing them, rolled down his window and killed the car. It was a sow and 5 or 6 large piglets. It was not quite dark and a steady rain was falling. The pigs stopped at the end of the row and then came right to us. My son asked for permission to fire, I gave it and pop- 4 legs in the air. I jumped out to shoot a piglet or 2 but the rain was too heavy. We sat and watched for 5 minutes and the piglets came back. But when they did the show rose back up and started moving. 2 more shots from my son and 2- 12 Guage shots from me and she was done. We dragged it onto the truck scales and it showed 300/320 lbs. We then dragged it into the commodity barn for pictures. I tried the tape measure trick for the 1st time and according to it she only weighed 240, she was hugely swollen and I believe ready to pop out another litter anytime. I'm not sure how that plays into the tape measure equation. Anyway we are calling it 300# for his first pig. He was shooting a .222 50 grain winchester super x. A night to remember for sure, I couldn't be more proud!20150523_211318.jpg

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go fo sure on that first hog, can not get better than that!!! Nice going!!! BANG BANG!!!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent! Big hog first time. Great memories!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First Hog and a whopper Congrats!! Great shooting! sometimes while hanging the measurement is different from laying on the ground.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats ! Love seein' kids winning in the field. The smile says it all right there. Very nice hog. The tales at school now, how he brought home the bacon.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Excellent job young man! You'll never get that grin off his face now.

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great story, and great memory for you both. Oh, and great job on the hog too! Congrats all the way around.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats to you and your son ... great family moments.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! Would have been 10 lbs heavier w/o all the blood loss. lol

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job!! Congrats on his first.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats to the both of you! Wishing for many more hunts to come yall way!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish I could shoot a hog 5 times my size! Nicely done, young man!
I don't think a hog exists that is five times MY size.

Great job, the both of you!!!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter